Core i7 6 core or quad core?

Willow78

Bronze Level Poster
Been saving up for a new desktop to replace my almost 6 years old i7 860 (2.8 Ghz) while it has served me well, actually longer than any other PC I have had as I usually upgrade every 2-4 years time has come to replace the system now. Plus its getting difficult to get new cards into my old case

I'm looking at a new PC with 16GB ram and either a 4 Ghz i7 4790 or a 6 Core i7 3.3 Ghz 5820.

I recently upgraded my 680 to a 980 so I don't need a new graphics card for a while. I would rather have a 6 core i7 as I suspect when DX12 gains traction the extra cores will come in handy, while not as useful at the moment since most games don't seem to use more than 4 cores

Just wondered what other people would suggest I go for ?

Spuff

Expert
Just because you can with DX12 better spread the load across more than 4 cores, doesn't necessarily mean that you will see benefit from more than 4 cores.
Although I do hope for good things with DX12 I'm getting great performance with my 980ti and i5 with DX11.

mishra

Rising Star
So the choice is between: i7-4790 @ 3.6GHz or i7-5820 @ 3.3GHz. Now, is the 5820 the "K" model and the other CPU is not a "K" ?

I'm no expert here but I would take the 4790 (ideally in a "K" flavour). Yes, it has 2 less cores but each is clocked higher than on the 5820 chip.
People been saying for years that very soon games will benefit from more cores, but time goes by and the revolution still hasn't quite happen. Quad core is more than enough with any game you throw at it. If you are after gaming purely then 4790 will do you fine, if you plan to do some heavy multiprocessor work (virtualization, rendering, etc..) then maybe the 5820 is worth the extra money.

Thing is if you stick with the 5820 you will have to go with DDR4 RAM which is more expensive, and motherbaord is going to be more expensive. So you basically going to dish out extra money just at a time when new CPU (Skylake) is round the corner.