Corsair 5000D Airflow extra case fans

jaymz

Cool, I'll order the ML ones instead.

I like having two intakes at the front (blue if possible) and AIO exhaust up top. It's as close to my Antec 900 as it can, and that's the rig I'm replacing and will miss!

Do you know the difference between the H115i Pro XT and the H115i Elite Capellix?

D

Deleted member 17413

If you want a similar lighting effect to what you were looking at, ML140 Pro LED comes in red white or blue and is about £9 extra per fan at £23 ish. They move -much- more air, are fully controllable for fan curves and are much quieter, and only £1 more than the regular ML140's

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 17413

Cool, I'll order the ML ones instead.

I like having two intakes at the front (blue if possible) and AIO exhaust up top. It's as close to my Antec 900 as it can, and that's the rig I'm replacing and will miss!

Do you know the difference between the H115i Pro XT and the H115i Elite Capellix?
Fans on the Elite are RGB, and I believe the pump/cooler head has a better set/layout of RGB lights and you can change the cover on it for a see through one. The capellix refers to a new pump head and as Ash said, it comes with a commander core which adds quite a bit of value/flexibility. For the extra £20 you seem to get your moneys' worth.

But as mentioned, compared to the Pro XT, Im not sure it actually gains you anything for what you are using it for.

jaymz

Yeah, I don't plan on spending too much time looking inside the case, so I'm more interested in cooling vs price.

You think the extra £20 is worth it for the commander core and new pump? I don't plan on overclocking other than the AMD Boost (automatic?).

Does the commander plugging into a USB header affect any of the case USB front ports? Sorry for bombarding you with questions!

Ash_

Master Poster
The Elite Capellix has more LED’s per fan, the commander is worth a lot more than £20 on its own. I believe the pump is also the newest generation pump and the ML EC fans are a lot more powerful than regular ML. Imo, definitely worth it for say a 5800/5900. Not so much for a 5600, but if you are buying other fans anyway, then they probably are worth it.

jaymz

Awesome, thanks guys. Might as well eat the £20 and buy the newer gen one.

I should've done this 2 days ago before the £5 amendment fee was added.

Don't be like me!

AleTax

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
You'd also miss out on the integration with the iCue software that allows you so much more control over what goes on in relation to the fan speed, pump speed, temperatures etc.

EDIT - Damn that @SpyderTracks and his eight legs. Always that split-second quicker than me.
Lmao that "EDIT". Anyway, I agree. Spending a bit more on cooler to have all those extra things is always good

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
Just adding my two cents - actually more like a ha'penny worth really.

My messing with the 5600X suggests that running cooler will give you better all core boost clocks - and longer boosts generally too - even when well below the usual 'throtlling' temperature. So having a cooler or fan setup that may arguably be more than technically required to make the chip run within it's acceptable range, will actually give you slightly better performance.

So you will still get some benefit from over-speccing the cooling, even if it's a small one.

(EDIT - I see no reason that this wouldn't apply to the 5800X/5900X/5950X also fwiw)

Ash_

Master Poster
Just adding my two cents - actually more like a ha'penny worth really.

My messing with the 5600X suggests that running cooler will give you better all core boost clocks - and longer boosts generally too - even when well below the usual 'throtlling' temperature. So having a cooler or fan setup that may arguably be more than technically required to make the chip run within it's acceptable range, will actually give you slightly better performance.

So you will still get some benefit from over-speccing the cooling, even if it's a small one.

(EDIT - I see no reason that this wouldn't apply to the 5800X/5900X/5950X also fwiw)
It is true, my cpu sits well above it’s advertised clock speed - as my cooler can keep it nice and cool

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
It is true, my cpu sits well above it’s advertised clock speed - as my cooler can keep it nice and cool
You mean above the advertised base clock I assume? More than a small amount above the highest advertised boost clock would require an OC.....

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
Yes base clock
I was seeing about a 150MHz difference in all core boost for every 10 degrees of CPU temp - roughly speaking. (y)

So the OP might feel they have more cooling than absloutely required - but will still be getting some performance back for the extra outlay.

Last edited:

jaymz

Good news about the benefits of having a newer gen cooler, and hopefully it'll help keep the cpu cool even when being boosted.

Also, I've realised I made a mistake with my original post.

It's the 4000D that can have issues with a 280mm top AIO. The 5000D has much more headroom.

I guess made a happy mistake ordering the larger case? Too late to change now anyway.

Ash_

Master Poster
Good news about the benefits of having a newer gen cooler, and hopefully it'll help keep the cpu cool even when being boosted.

Also, I've realised I made a mistake with my original post.

It's the 4000D that can have issues with a 280mm top AIO. The 5000D has much more headroom.

I guess made a happy mistake ordering the larger case? Too late to change now anyway.
4000D can fit a 280mm aio i believe, unless you have RGB ram, then you will have issues. Even if so, the rad would simply be mounted to the front instead.

jaymz

4000D can fit a 280mm aio i believe, unless you have RGB ram, then you will have issues. Even if so, the rad would simply be mounted to the front instead.

Yeah, I think up to a 360mm AIO will fit in the front of either case. It was more specifically about having one on the top. Low-profile RAM (and some non-RBG) or a mobo with slightly lower RAM slots and it shouldn't be an issue in a 4000D. Definitely not going to be an issue in the 5000D.

I have a feeling the 5000D is going to be rather large! Still, easier to work inside if/when the time comes.

Thanks for all the replies!

AleTax

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Yeah, I think up to a 360mm AIO will fit in the front of either case. It was more specifically about having one on the top. Low-profile RAM (and some non-RBG) or a mobo with slightly lower RAM slots and it shouldn't be an issue in a 4000D. Definitely not going to be an issue in the 5000D.

I have a feeling the 5000D is going to be rather large! Still, easier to work inside if/when the time comes.

Thanks for all the replies!
The 4000D Airflow can fit 240-280mm radiators on top and 280-360mm radiators in front

Ash_

Master Poster
The 5000D comes with a pwm hub doesn't it ?
That can have 6 fans plugged into it.
No. You would want the H115i elite capellix for it’s Commander node or the LL120 pack, to have a lighting node. Although i’d definitely recommend the H115i, as the commander is absolutely worth getting.

Fabian03

No. You would want the H115i elite capellix for it’s Commander node or the LL120 pack, to have a lighting node. Although i’d definitely recommend the H115i, as the commander is absolutely worth getting.
I could of sworn the 5000D comes with a pwm hub in the cable managing side of the case, it's talked about in every review of the 5000D ?