Corsair 500D SE / 6800XT / 5900X

Nivek

Silver Level Poster
So after 63 working days and then another 2 weeks delay with the shipping (to Ireland) due to brexit - my PC finally arrived this week!
I initially went with the Corsair 680X case, however as it went into building I was informed the graphics card was too long to fit the case (it is huuuuge btw :LOL:), so I change to the 500D.

I actually think the 500D is a stunning case and I'm really pleased with it.
Note that it did not come with the rear extract fan though, I purchased this myself separately on amazon (Corsair LL 120) and installed it myself after guidance from people on the forum.
One frustrating part was trying to connect the fans' RGB cable to the RGB hub which is installed in the PSU shroud with all the cables.
The first 3 RGB ports were easily accessible but were taken by the 3 front fans, the other 3 ports were at the back and it must have taken me 500 attempts to get the plug into port 4 which was at the back and I couldn't see and could only use 2 fingers due to the jumble of cables in there. :oops:
I didn't have the right screwdriver to remove the PSU shroud, and wasn't sure which way it came out anyway!

One other frustrating part was that the package did not come with any FRAGILE warnings on it. I asked PCS to please add to the shipping package as I read the horror stories of a couple of people on here who's PCs arrived with a glass panel on the case smashed. Luckily the PC arrived in immaculate condition though!

As for the performance of the PC I can't comment too much on it yet as I badly need a monitor upgrade - currently rocking 2 1080p 60Hz monitors that have lasted me 10 years. :D
Looking forward to hooking it up to my 4K OLED TV though...

Attachments

• IMG_20210211_000856.jpg
    IMG_20210211_000856.jpg
    611.7 KB · Views: 367
  • IMG_20210212_211409.jpg
    IMG_20210212_211409.jpg
    581.8 KB · Views: 352
  • IMG_20210212_211448.jpg
    IMG_20210212_211448.jpg
    711 KB · Views: 350

Nivek

Silver Level Poster
One other thing I forgot to mention... when I switched to the Corsair 500D SE case I was not able to select both the Corsair RGB ram with the Corsair H115i platinum cooler due to the RGB ram being taller, so I was forced to switch to the non-RGB ram.
Now that I have received the PC I cannot understand how it wouldn't have fit (see pic #3 above).. can anyone enlighten me? :unsure:

One other thing I forgot to mention... when I switched to the Corsair 500D SE case I was not able to select both the Corsair RGB ram with the Corsair H115i platinum cooler due to the RGB ram being taller, so I was forced to switch to the non-RGB ram.
Now that I have received the PC I cannot understand how it wouldn't have fit (see pic #3 above).. can anyone enlighten me? :unsure:
They will fit in that case, so surprised that was an issue (worse case they could have put the rad at the front like they did in my 465X case to fit the ram in). Might be worth bringing it up with PCS, they might even swap it for you.

Nivek

Silver Level Poster
They will fit in that case, so surprised that was an issue (worse case they could have put the rad at the front like they did in my 465X case to fit the ram in). Might be worth bringing it up with PCS, they might even swap it for you.
I will probably research and buy the best RGB ram (within a reasonable price) for the 5900X eventually. The extra RGB will only add to the aesthetics! I just went with the 16GB 3600MHz from PCS so it was pretty cheap.
as for the Corsair fan hub - yeah it was totally worth it, despite how long it took and how sore my fingers were after it. :ROFLMAO:

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
LOL ignore that.. to be fair that's behind the monitor which I had to move to take pictures, so you can't normally see it!
You haven’t qualified for the ‘Agent Cooper Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Cable Management’ certification at this stage... if we get a pic of the full setup when it’s in situ I’ll reconsider. Only one person has achieved it so far, are you willing to go the distance? 😜

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
I was so proud to get those 15 Bonus points

giphy.gif
Oh yeah... I only came up with the certificate a few days ago, I might have to revisit yours!

Is it an abuse of my Modly powers to make a sticky of great setups with beautiful cable management in the ‘show off your PC’ section? 🤔

Ash_

Master Poster
Speculating here but... if you mounted the rad behind the front fans, there may not have been enough horizontal clearance, for the gpu.

longdog42

Bronze Level Poster
Does your model number on the warranty leaflet for the XFX Merc say ‘RX-68XTAC’?

Curious since I thought they were stocking the base ‘Core’ model instead of the higher binned ‘Black’ ones.