Corsair H100i RGB PLATINUM - fan RGB wiring

PhilGP

Silver Level Poster
My desktop PC arrived a couple of days ago and I am slowly getting things setup (moving apps/data to it from my old PC).
It's the first time I've had RGB lighting so I've spent a bit of time getting to know the iCue software.
I am wondering if my Corsair H100i RGB PLATINUM has been connected correctly.

RGB devices detected by iCue
Motherboard
RGB controller
H100i

There single light on the Motherboard - Corsair logo on the heatsink. This works ok.

The RGB on the CPU cooler is working ok (USB connection??)
According the the spec on the Corsair site, the fans are "120mm CORSAIR ML PRO Series"
But when I configure iCue to show it using 2x ML fans, I have no control over the fan colours.

The Case comes with 3 front fans and a 6 way lighting controller
Connector #1,#2,#3 are connected to the 3 x 120mm fans in the front of the case - these all work fine, they're Fan#1,#2,#3 in the iCue software

Connector #4 & #5 have cables connected

I have found that if I configure the lighting for Fan #4 on the Corsair controller, then I can control the 2 fans on the cooler.
I accept that they're connected to the lighting controller and not the CPU cooler (although it was a surprise)

But here's where is gets odd.
BOTH of the fans are working off the settings for fan#4 - i.e. both fans on the same port.
Despite there being a connector on Port#5, there is nothing to control - I have no idea where this wire goes!

And, if I set fan#4 to some of the basic colour settings, both fans show the same thing - this makes sense as they're on the same connector
But if I pick a colour wave, then it moves between the two fans. Does the controller know that there are multiple devices on one port?

Is this wiring correct?
Any idea where wire #5 could go?
The cables are so tight, it's difficult to trace them though the case.

It's not a problem the way it works. I am just curious about whether the wiring has been done correctly.

Also, very minor point, I have a small black speaker just hanging off the MB (bottom right).
It is a 2" cable and the speaker just rests on the base of the case. It seems a bit odd not to be fastened anywhere.
I may find a way to stick it down later.

Spec:
Case
CORSAIR iCUE 220T RGB AIRFLOW MID TOWER GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Eight Core CPU (3.6GHz-4.4GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
ASUS® ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING (DDR4, USB 3.1, 6Gb/s) - RGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3000MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
6GB ASUS DUAL GEFORCE RTX 2060 - HDMI, DP, DVI
1st Storage Drive
2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive
512GB PCS PCIe M.2 SSD (2000 MB/R, 1100 MB/W)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 550W CV SERIES™ CV-550 POWER SUPPLY
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Corsair H100i RGB PLATINUM Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
Wireless Network Card
WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]

Last edited:

PhilGP

Silver Level Poster
I have sent a message to PCS to see if they have a schematic for the RGB lighting.
I have also posted on the Corsair forum.

I'll follow up here if I get any more info. I am curious if any other people have the same issue.

PhilGP

Silver Level Poster
Here's a link to the quick start/install guide.

H100i H115i RGB Platinum Quick Start Guide
Thanks @TonyCarter - I have gone through the instructions. It's difficult to trace the cables (PCS do a very tidy job of cable management) but all connections are in place .... they just don't seem to go to the places you would expect.
With so many wires going behind the MB and all looking the same, it's not easy to check them.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Thanks @TonyCarter - I have gone through the instructions. It's difficult to trace the cables (PCS do a very tidy job of cable management) but all connections are in place .... they just don't seem to go to the places you would expect.
With so many wires going behind the MB and all looking the same, it's not easy to check them.
Mine's the same case, with the same cabling - doubly-confounded by the cables being twisted around each other and cable tied very tightly.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Now I've seen it all...people complaining about the excellent job the builder's did with the cable management :ROFLMAO:

In all seriousness, yeah, the cable management, whilst excellent, does make things tough....I would have struggled to follow the cables in my case let alone a case with double the fans etc...luckily I undid all of their excellent work when replacing my PSU so I longer have issues :eek:
I've got no problem undoing it all...my problem's always been getting it back together and working with no leftover parts ;)

...and I've got my SP140 rear fan to fit this weekend 😬

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
If you want to figure out what connection #5 is simply disconnect it, boot up the PC and see what affect it has :)

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Well, stupid me realised I'd been talking about SP140 fans...but I actually wanted (and knew all along) that I needed an SP120 fan 😖

But that didn't put me off and I just trimmed the edges to fit...

...no I didn't...I just decided to sort out the bulky cabling.

I've reduced the pressure on the case, so that I only need 2 hands to close it now, but the culprit is a GIRTHY cable from the RM1000X PSU that can't go anywhere else and is as thick as the gap in the case - and has to cross another cable at some point in its journey.

I've moved this smaller 2nd cable a little to relieve some of the pressure, and cable-tied some that were now loosened, but I think it's just a fact that this PSU (maybe any of the RMx PSUs with the really girthy cables will struggle to fit everything in this relatively slim case. Maybe I should have gone a size up, but I really couldn't visualise the different sizes when I was buying it.

Sorted as much as it can be for now, and am still happy with the case - and a couple of random Funko-Pops are having a disco in there as I write.

IMG_4251.jpg