Corsair H40 Fan speed?

SlickShoes

OK so I really enjoy my new PC it handles every game I have thrown it with EASE!

I have the Corsair H40 cooler, it is great, playing sleeping dogs at 1920x1080 on EXTREME my CPU never goes above 48 degrees, fantastic.

The main problem is that the fan on the intake at the back of the case runs at a single speed of 1800rpm, this can't be changed in the bios or anything else I have tried. Does anyone know if there is any way at all I can run the fan at a slower speed? The computer would basically be silent if it wasn't for this fan noise, I don't mind it getting noisier as I throw more tasks at it but running at 1800rpm while the computer is idle seems like a waste of power.

If anyone can help that would be great.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
have you installed all of the programs on the motherboard disk?

such as Asus probe II? allows you to do a ton of things including creating cpu fan profiles.

SlickShoes

In the bios there are advanced settings for all of the fans and I can change how they operate and at which speeds but even changing the values for the intake fan of the H40 does nothing at all.

I have not tried the motherboard dvd for even more advanced options though so I will give that a go tonight, thanks.

SlickShoes

No luck with any fan control software, it seems it just runs at one constant speed and that's it. I guess it's my fault for not doing enough research before buying it! Oh well I can dream of the £19 triple copper heatpipe one.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
hmm, sounds odd to me. Give me a sec wanna do some research... (uni work is boring anyway) haha

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Ok, So i just watched a newegg video on youtube.

I think the problem is because, Corsair have included a 120mm standard 3 pin fan. Whereas normally CPU fans are 4pin PWM fans. In short PWM allows the mobo to regulate the fan speed, via giving the fan short bursts of power as opposed to traditional methods of reducing the voltage to lower/raise the fan speeds, as you would see with standard 3pin fans. AS Corsair have gave you a 3pin fan, the mobo is possibly unable to reduce the fan speed, as it (the mobo) wants to use PWM to control the fan speed. That is my gut feeling mate.

If it does bother you, (it would me) I'd swap the 120mm fan for a better 120mm 4pin PWM fan, which is relatively easy to do. You can pick them up for less than 15 quid, then you should be able to control the fan speed. Akasa apache black 120mm fan would be a good solution, http://www.akasa.com.tw/update.php?...type=Fans&type_sub=PWM Control&model=AK-FN058

SlickShoes

Ok, So i just watched a newegg video on youtube.

I think the problem is because, Corsair have included a 120mm standard 3 pin fan. Whereas normally CPU fans are 4pin PWM fans. In short PWM allows the mobo to regulate the fan speed, via giving the fan short bursts of power as opposed to traditional methods of reducing the voltage to lower/raise the fan speeds, as you would see with standard 3pin fans. AS Corsair have gave you a 3pin fan, the mobo is possibly unable to reduce the fan speed, as it (the mobo) wants to use PWM to control the fan speed. That is my gut feeling mate.

If it does bother you, (it would me) I'd swap the 120mm fan for a better 120mm 4pin PWM fan, which is relatively easy to do. You can pick them up for less than 15 quid, then you should be able to control the fan speed. Akasa apache black 120mm fan would be a good solution, http://www.akasa.com.tw/update.php?...type=Fans&type_sub=PWM Control&model=AK-FN058

I had read something similar but you made it a bit more understandable so thanks! I will probably give that a go as I would like the speed to alter rather than running at full blast constantly!

I assume changing the fan on the thing is just a case of removing a few screws and plugging the power for it in to the correct socket?

EDIT: I have just ordered that fan after reading a few reviews, it appears a favourite for people with corsair coolers haha

Last edited:

tom_gr7

Life Serving
if i remember correctly,

you would need a small positive screw driver.
-Pc powered off and unplugged, (sorry if this is obvious) then it would also be a good idea to hold the power button down for 30secs.
-unplug fan cable from mobo, try not to touch the motherboard too much.
-unscrew the case rear case fan. (note the fan is also attached the cooler)
-then unscrew the fan from the cooler, (keep the screws though)
-then get the new 4pin fan, hold to the cooler, then screw to cooler. (using the same screws, and don't screw it too tight)
-then screw the fan in the rear fan slot.
-plug in the fan cable in the CPU_fan Port on your motherboard.
-taaadaaa

that's it really, you may need three hands though as its kinda tricky to hold the cooler, whilst holding the fan on it and screwing it into the cooler. But I'm sure you will get there. :)

N try not to touch the components, n if you have a anti static strap be a good idea to use that.

SlickShoes

Nice one thanks, it sounds pretty simple, sure it will be obvious when I get in there and have a look at it!

SlickShoes

if i remember correctly,

you would need a small positive screw driver.
-Pc powered off and unplugged, (sorry if this is obvious) then it would also be a good idea to hold the power button down for 30secs.
-unplug fan cable from mobo, try not to touch the motherboard too much.
-unscrew the case rear case fan. (note the fan is also attached the cooler)
-then unscrew the fan from the cooler, (keep the screws though)
-then get the new 4pin fan, hold to the cooler, then screw to cooler. (using the same screws, and don't screw it too tight)
-then screw the fan in the rear fan slot.
-plug in the fan cable in the CPU_fan Port on your motherboard.
-taaadaaa

that's it really, you may need three hands though as its kinda tricky to hold the cooler, whilst holding the fan on it and screwing it into the cooler. But I'm sure you will get there. :)

N try not to touch the components, n if you have a anti static strap be a good idea to use that.

My new fan arrived today and is now fitted, the computer is basically silent now, its so quiet I can hear the HDD being read which is now annoying me hahaha.

Thanks for your help.

I unscrewed the stock fan and radiator from the case, they were held together by four long screws. I then took the old fan out, popped mine in its place and became unable to screw the fan and radiator together. There were washers on the screws so I had to take these off to make the screws long enough to reach the radiator, it felt like the akasa fan housing was 1mm larger than the stock one. After a bit of panic when doing that everything else went fine and the fan is now idling at 650rpm and not 1900!

tom_gr7

Life Serving
excellent :)

might be a good idea to set up a fan profile, simply to ensure that the fan speed does increase enough to keep the temps down.

SlickShoes

excellent :)

might be a good idea to set up a fan profile, simply to ensure that the fan speed does increase enough to keep the temps down.

Aye, I have it on standard just now and it sped up a tiny bit when playing counter strike but thats not a taxing game as the CPU temps only went up to 32 degrees haha. I will try running something a bit more demanding later on! Thanks again!