Corsair HX850-80 Fan Noise

Boozad

Prolific Poster
My PSU has started to get pretty loud intermittently when gaming, the issue started about a couple of weeks ago. I installed some Windows updates and the new GeForce Experience release and it seemed to start after that. At first I thought it was the GPU fan, maybe something to do with the new WHQL drivers so I stripped my machine and cleaned it out thoroughly, although I sort of knew that wasn't the problem when I opened it as it was fairly clean anyway.
The problem persisted so I finally opened it up while applying some load (BF3) and it's coming from the PSU.
It never made this noise prior to those updates and I was wondering if anyone's PSU sounds the same, or if it is normal? The sound's not that much of a concern, but considering it never used to do it it got me slightly concerned. I know it ramps the fan up when necessary but I presume it was doing that before without making this sound. Could it be the bearings on the fan? I'm at a loss with this one. I've posted a short video below, it's quite dark but there's nothing much to see anyway, you can hear the fan ramp up about half way through before dying of again.

[video=youtube_share;KLBYH-Wk8I0]http://youtu.be/KLBYH-Wk8I0[/video]

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Well i see 2 options here....

1st is the fan as you already suggested, probably the bearing...

The 2nd is the motor that drives the fan, we have (much bigger, but the same principal) motors driving fans at my work and sometimes when the motor is on its way out you get that very same noise.

The danger is the fan packs up all together without warning or you don't notice it. The only other thing i could possibly think of is coil whine... but sounds very much like a bearing to me...

Boozad

Prolific Poster
I may have to take the PSU out and have a look at the fan. Maybe that's clogged up, I doubt it though as the filter wasn't exactly full. It only happens when I apply load, namely gaming, and it's not constant. It does continue for a while on and off after a gaming session though. Hmm, a bit concerning that is.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
i'd contact PCS mate, see what they can do.

if they can't help, send an RMA ticket sent off to corsair. they will probably offer you a replacement.

does sound like a dodgy fan mate. obviously, don't take it apart. Just a clean with some compressed air.

IS you psu mounted fan side down? it might just be a bit clogged with dust.

Boozad

Prolific Poster
Yeah it's fan side down. I'll whip it out and give it a blast out and see if that makes a difference, if not I'll get in touch with Corsair.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
when you pop it back in, try it fan side up mate. It may be something simple, like the airflow is restricted through the bottom of the case.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
if your within warranty on your PCS system then PCS will send out a replacement and you can hand your old one over to the driver. Probably the best solution.