Corsair mATX case USB Ports not working

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
The sockets are all yellow (so just means it provides power), but could be USB2 or USB3), but I guess there's nothing stopping them connecting a USB-2 header to them, and me not noticing anything wrong because I've not used them much???

Right, just used USBDeviceTree tool to check, and going backwards from the USB-C port at the front, plugging in a 2TB Crucial X9 Pro...
  • USB-C = USB3.2 gen 2
  • USB-A #1 = USB2.1
  • USB-A #2 = USB2.1
  • USB-A #3 = USB3.2 gen 2
  • USB-A #4 = USB3.2 gen 2
I guess they just connected the free USB2 header to the top on a whim for me…lucky me 🤣
I wouldn't assume that yellow USB ports provide power (especially if they're functionally USB 2). The only meaning they actually have is "this is Corsair's brand colour".

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I wouldn't assume that yellow USB ports provide power (especially if they're functionally USB 2). The only meaning they actually have is "this is Corsair's brand colour".

True.

Luckily the only thing I use them for are connecting bus-powered USB sticks/drives…and there’s enough power from each of them for that.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
For the OP though, unsure if it's something you want to investigate further, the USB2.0 connection at the header... is completely different from a USB3.0 header.

PCS couldn't power the USB ports for the OP as they are a USB3.0 connection (Big wide blue one) rather than the smaller block 9 pin USB2.0 header.

If yours are connected without any fuss, then it suggests that your case has 1 USB2.0 set and 1 USB3.0 set at the top, where the op has 2 USB3.0 connections.

For clarification, I'm using USB3.0 to describe 3.1 and 3.2.1. They're all pretty similar. The 2.0 is very different though.

The current case description states 4 USB3.2.1 connections on the top along with a USBC port. This would require 2 USB3.x headers and 1 USB-C header. If yours is the same standard of case (I'm thinking possibly a different revision with a 2.0 and 3.x) then there must be an adapter. It's possible that PCS fitted an adapter because they had one to hand, but surprised this wasn't an option for the OP too.