cosmos 2 full fan speed on mains or battery **FIX**

hi guys, received my awesome cosmos 2 i7 gtx 850m laptop from pcs and was amazed at the fan speed madness when on mains and on battery, being a 15 year veteran of pc repair I decided to take the back off and check things out as some threads are stating its the bios fan profiles...which didn't make sense, anyway after removing the copper sinks and the fan it was obvious that the insulating guard tape that is stuck onto the bottom of the copper heatsink is in the WRONG place, the cut out square is placed onto the copper aligned with the marks that are indented into the copper heatsink.....unfortunately they do NOT match the position of the heatsink ontop of the i7....my i7 heatsink was completely covered by black protective and paste between it...I peeled it off, cleaned the cpu and gpu heatsink....re-positioned the protective tape re applied paste and im happy to say day 2 of NO fan with normal use and strong fan power(but not max) when I run furmark or encode video....this is a heads up for PCS as it will save so many complaints and annoyed customers, if the builders are going by guidelines stamped into the copper heatsinks it is WAY off...if a mod could bring this to someones attention it would be great...also, my cpu now idles at 28c.....and under full load using procoder only bumps to 50.....hope this has been some help

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
You didn't happen to take any photos during the process dig you? That would really help people if they wanted to try this themselves.

If its as you say I would be really surprised if this hadn't been rectified by now.

If you want to contact someone about this you can PM MoosEh or PaulH on the forums.

You didn't happen to take any photos during the process dig you? That would really help people if they wanted to try this themselves.

If its as you say I would be really surprised if this hadn't been rectified by now.

If you want to contact someone about this you can PM MoosEh or PaulH on the forums.

No mate sorry didn't take pics :( but this morning I went to a friends house as he has the laptop and same fan issues....took his one apart and same thing, did the same and re pasted and instant cool quiet laptop....it might just be a fault on the production line as the copper heatsinks probably come with the insulating square already on...maybe a revision of the motherboard layout(even a fraction of an inch) didn't change the layout production of the heatsink....2 laptops the same and now working perfectly is a bit much of a coincidence...I will pm a mod as thanks :)

sim.castle

Just want to say, that after having the fan whirring up intermitently on my Cosmos 2 I followed the advice of this thread by moving the protective tape and replacing the (totally dry) thermal paste. Seems to have improved things greatly, so thanks millie280877!