Cosmos II vs UltraNote II: 15.6" IPS screen comparison?

staghorne

Hi all,

I'm trying to make up my mind between the Cosmos II 15.6" or the UltraNote II 15.6" for my new Linux non-gaming laptop. I have a fairly good idea of the spec differences; you can read here about my thoughts on those. At this point, the one important factor that I cannot easily assess is the laptop screen, and how it differs between the two models.

In both cases I'm looking to go with the high-res matte IPS option. A review by Tom DWC on these forums had nothing but praise for the Cosmos II IPS screen, but did not include any systematic measurements of brightness or colour gamut. An AnandTech review of the Clevo W550 (i.e., the 15.6" UltraNote II) employing more sophisticated measurement techniques was more on the fence about the the IPS screen quality, showing a somewhat mediocre 48.3% colour gamut. However, I have not been able to find data that allows direct comparison of the quality of the two screens.

Does anyone have a web link or personal experience directly comparing the two screens in question?
How do they differ? Or are they basically the same?