Cosmos IV Review

FILTHY-WZARD

I opted for the cosmos series laptop which I will be using mainly for work with Virtual Machines, a little photoshop and lightroom work and casual gaming when I'm away from home. I have a second hyperx 8gb ram stick to install myself and a WD Black drive 750Gb on its way to install in the dvd drive caddy.

My order took 4 working days to dispatch and is arriving 24 hrs after being dispatched. I thought this was incredible as I was quoted 13-15 days when I ordered it. I am due to receive the laptop tomorrow and I'll give me honest feedback. The cost of my system was just under £800.

Chassis & Display
Cosmos Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD IPS LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Quad Core Processor 6700HQ (2.6GHz, 3.5GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)
8GB HyperX IMPACT 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 (1 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 950M - 2.0GB DDR3 Video RAM - DirectX® 12
1st Hard Disk
250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
2nd/3rd HDD HARD DRIVE OPTICAL BAY CADDY (12.7mm)
Memory Card Reader
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Wireless/Wired Networking
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® AC-8260 M.2 (867Mbps, 802.11AC) +BT 4.0, vPRO
USB Options
3 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT AS STANDARD
Battery
Cosmos Series 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (48.84WH)
Power Cable
1 x UK Power Lead & 120W AC Adaptor
Keyboard Language
COSMOS SERIES UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD
Operating System
Genuine Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence
DVD Recovery Media
Windows 10 (64-bit) Home DVD with paper sleeve
Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 2.0 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 13 to 15 working days
Quantity

FILTHY-WZARD

THE REVIEW

Ordering Process/Build

The process took a total of 4 working days to be dispatched, this was much quicker than I thought it would be having been quoted 13-15 days! The website was also super easy to use and this forum was full of people waiting to assist me with my configuration choice.

Delivery/Packaging

DPD offer an exception service, the laptop arrived with 24hrs of dispatch without a hint of damage to the packaging. For those of you who havnt used DPD before they provide you with a 1 hour delivery window on the morning of delivery or alternatively you can arrange to pick up your parcel from a nearby pick up point. Mine was the local off licence. The laptop comes inside two cardboard boxes and stuffed with air filled padding.

Build Quality

The laptop and ancillaries appear to be of a high quality, there are no squeaks or rattles! The top of the laptop is a brushed aluminium effect which looks smart. The laptop is void of any logos or marketing apart from the usual Intel and Nvidia stickers on the keyboard. Having used the laptop now for a few hours I can say the keyboard feels nice under the fingers and is well spaced for my average sized hands. The track pad also seems to be responsive, I am not a fan of trackpads though and instead will be using my bluetooth mouse. The 1080P display is crisp, colours appear to be accurate and the viewing angles are impressive.

Performance

As with the configuration above you would expect this laptop to be very speedy, and that it is! noticeably quicker from any machine I have used before and is a joy to use. The bluetooth works brilliantly and the wireless is super quick giving me a test score of 168mbs (I pay for the 152mb service). The system boots in less than 10 seconds, it might actually be as quick as 5 seconds.

If anyone has any questions about this laptop or the service in general I'd be happy to help. i would also like to thanks the members of this forum who helped me decide on my configuration you have been a great help.

Stephen M

Author Level
Nice review. I do like the idea of using the local off licence as pick up point, would be nice if PCS could add to the configurator a single malt menu :)