could use a little Vortex III help :)

AJ_

Hi Guys,

haven't been on the forum in a while but I'm back now in the hopes that someone can help me out. I bought a Vortex III a couple years ago and it has been working great up until now.

I was in the middle of a game today and it just shut itself off without warning. Now when I try start it up it runs for about 20-30s then shuts off again. I have tried a reset (holding power down for 30s without AC or battery connected) and I have reseated the RAM - neither of which worked. I've noticed that the fans (particularly the CPU fan) start when I initially turn the laptop on but then stop about 2 seconds later so I'm wondering if this could be the cause? I'm fairly sure that the cpu fan normally runs constantly after powering on?

I'm at a bit of a loss so if any of you kind people could help I would be extremely grateful! :)

full spec:

Chassis & Display
Vortex Series: 15.6" Glossy Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-3610QM (2.30GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card
AMD® Radeon® HD 7970M - 2GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
750GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD7500BPKT, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)
Memory Card Reader
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)
Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Network Facilities
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® ADVANCED-N 6235 (300Mbps) + BLUETOOTH
USB Options
3 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT AS STANDARD
Firewire
1 X 1394a FIREWIRE PORT
Battery
Vortex Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (5,200 mAh/76.96WH)
Power Lead & Adaptor
1 x UK Power Lead & 180W AC Adaptor

mrducking

Bright Spark
sounds like a temperature problem, use a monitoring temps program like the HWmonitor and try to play, see what temps you get before it turns off
but from what you say it's probably a problem with one of the fans

AJ_

Yeah I was thinking temps too. Unfortunately I can't even get into the OS. It gets about as far as the windows logo then dies. Same thing happens if I go to the boot menu etc - just turns off after about 20s no matter what.

mrducking

Bright Spark
ouch, then check if your fan is working
also if you are under warranty, call PCS, even if you are not under warranty i would call PCS to ask them, or how much it would cost you for them to fix it
if you are a brave one ( :D ) you can open your laptop, take out the fan that you think is not working and test it with a battery (we are talking low voltage here)
good luck ;)

AJ_

well the fans do start up for about a second when i first turn the laptop on but then they just stop and the laptop shuts off soon after. Fans are clearly working and getting power for a brief second so I'm thinking it might be a motherboard thing? guess i'll have to call PCS and hope for the best ha. Thanks for the help!