Couple questions

Kmce

Hi,

I'm still trying to get my perfect computer built and at first people were saying upgrade from the standard Disk drives you can buy to the caviar black then someone said green, it is only loading speed that will differ between these, would it be ok to get the green rather than the black?

Also I have always been saying I was going to get 16gb ram just so I do not need to upgrade in the future and people are saying go with 8gb, will 8 only suffice the now will I need to upgrade later, cause if so I'd prob just rather spend the extra £30 or so and get the 16gb

If any of you guys can help would be great I am not fantastic with the building of computers so I'm basically going with what you's all say.

Also this is going to be a gaming computer

Ta much

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Caviar black is faster, green is more energy efficient and it would take longer to load. Why don't you just upgrade to 16gb in the future? Pretty sure it would be cheaper than £30 by the time you need to increase the memory.

Rakk

The Awesome
Caviar Greens are good for storage drives, they are more power efficient as rubensolo said, but this also means they tend to power down when not in use and tend to not spin as fast, this is the reason they work well as storage drives, but not really that useful for boot drives or drives with lots of applications on them.

Kmce

I maybe won't choose the green the cause I don't plan to store anything on the computer apart from applications and obviously the files of the applications. The only reason I don't want to change my ram at a later date is last time I upgraded my ram it's messed up my computer I don't know if the ram was faulty or I knocked something when I was in the computer (which am sure I didn't do)

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Get the caviar black all the way, i have one and it's ace.

If you will doing some gaming + the usual internet and office stuff you can get away with only 4GB at the moment so thats why people tend to advise 8GB as futureproof. For surfing the web, and a couple of other apps open you will probably top out at about 2-2.5GB gaming will use just about all 4. So 8GB gives you loads of headroom at the moment, and it should last easily a couple of years if not 3.

When you upgraded your last RAM, did you check it was identical to the stuff you already had and your motherboard supported it? You could also try removing all the RAM and trying to insert it all again, if that fails try 1 stick at a time to see if you can find a dodgy one. If that fails try each memory slot on your mother board one at a time and see if that's the issue.