Courier routes.........................

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Ok, some of you may remember when FedEx took over european deliveries, it wasn't unheard of, of machines that were going to ROI to get there via Charles De Gaulle in Paris.

So I've got a parcel coming from the good old USA via the Useless Parcel Service (UPS), it left Horseheads NY, on the 15th and so far has been on a 1439 mile journey to get to Philadelphia 217 miles away.........

1660732388264.jpeg

1660732525568.jpeg

steaky360

Maybe they were just drawing a picture on the map? Did you ever think about that eh? ;)

Some Carbon released there... think of the carbons!

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I'm pretty sure every parcel sent within US routes to their hub in Louisville, even if the destination is much shorter as the crow flies. I'm sure someone has done the maths and decided this spoke and hub was the most efficient way of processing and distributing parcels, rather than having a multitude of point to point connections.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Maybe they were just drawing a picture on the map? Did you ever think about that eh?
Well I must admit I did wonder😂

I'm pretty sure every parcel sent within US routes to their hub in Louisville, even if the destination is much shorter as the crow flies. I'm sure someone has done the maths and decided this spoke and hub was the most efficient way of processing and distributing parcels, rather than having a multitude of point to point connections.
Yeah possibly a regional type hub, just found this with a quick google:

UPS Hubs Information​

While UPS can deliver to nearly any location in the world, the business operates logistically out of only a dozen hubs — specific centers of business that oversee and manage deliveries. Operating hubs allows companies like UPS to concentrate resources in a few locations, while still benefiting from the multiple arms of the operation. UPS currently works out of 12 hubs across the world, five of which are in the U.S. These UPS hubs are:

• Headquarters hub: Louisville, Kentucky, U.S.
  • Main U.S. hubs: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; Dallas, Texas; Ontario, California; and Rockford, Illinois
  • Canada: Hamilton, Ontario
  • Europe: Cologne, Germany; Bonn, Germany
  • Asia Pacific: Shanghai, China; Shenzhen, China; Hong Kong, China
  • Latin America and Caribbean: Miami, Florida, U.S.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I remember ordering a relatively expensive (i.e. more than my gaming PC or Mac Studio) new sofa about a decade ago, from a company touting their 'Made in Britain' credentials...only for the tracking to show China, Malaysia, Greece, China, UK.

Seems the frame was made in China, then shipped to Malaysia for something, then Greece for covering, then back to China as an issue was spotted on the frame, then to the UK warehouse, then to me.

Their excuse was that sometimes, but only very rarely, they have to outsource their production to China when their UK factory is really busy...yeah, right!!!

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I remember ordering a relatively expensive (i.e. more than my gaming PC or Mac Studio) new sofa about a decade ago, from a company touting their 'Made in Britain' credentials...only for the tracking to show China, Malaysia, Greece, China, UK.

Seems the frame was made in China, then shipped to Malaysia for something, then Greece for covering, then back to China as an issue was spotted on the frame, then to the UK warehouse, then to me.

Their excuse was that sometimes, but only very rarely, they have to outsource their production to China when their UK factory is really busy...yeah, right!!!
I read somewhere the other week about a company who had been asked to change the labels on all their products from "made in Taiwan" to "made in China"