CPU fan error

Timbercottage

Bronze Level Poster
Hi everyone,

I just received my new i7 930 and P6X58D-E Motherboard \o/

Unfortunately, my current CPU cooling fan doesn't fit so I'm currently using the stock fan that came in the box until my Corsair H50 arrives, again - \o/

Whenever I boot up my PC I get a CPU fan error, is this something to be worried about, and what would cause this? The temperatures stay around 40 at idle, and go to about 60 under load so it looks like it's doing a decent enough job despite the error.

Cheers,
Timber

PaulH

Bright Spark
Silly question but make sure you have it plugged into the CPU fan header on the board, secondly, have a look in the BIOS and make sure its getting a readout to the CPU fan header :) - sometimes you get this with fans if they dont reach high enough RPM straight off the bat.

Matt

Bright Spark
Probably a stupid question and completely wrong, but is the fan plugged into the motherboard?

WhatCanIKeep?

Administrator
Staff member
Probably a stupid question and completely wrong, but is the fan plugged into the motherboard?

Just remember that if the CPU fan cable is on a 3 pin connection then you can get that error, the CPU fan cable should be on one of these connectors, normally it says something like "CPU Fan".

2-6%20cpu-fan.jpg

Many Thanks,

Timbercottage

Bronze Level Poster
Haha, thanks guys, yes the fan is plugged in :) However, on further inspection, it is in fact in the wrong place! So I'm only half stupid :)