CPU/GPU Temperature too hot?

Deatasja

Matte, I also don't know how your specific chassis should look like internally, but 3 things caught my attention:
  1. Does the CPU (or is it GPU?) heatsink look to be melted? Or maybe something spilt on the top of it and fried with heat? There's also a screw with a different colour (instead of the default black), but it shouldn't be a problem if it's the same size and length. The only heat pipe that goes that the same heatsink also looks a bit bent, but I might be seeing it wrong because of the picture.
  2. In 3 ends of the fan heatspreader, there's a foam near the holes (which is expected). However, on top of the foam (or glue) there should be some kind of plastic cover, to make the airflow go directly out of the laptop, instead of back inside the case. It might be that the cover is sitting on the laptop's removable back, but not sure.
  3. One of the fans is a bit dusty. Not crazy dusty, but that would prevent the airflow a bit.
1. I see what you mean, when I looked at it just looked like a glue-y substance, could it be a bit of spillage from the heat paste job? I never spilt anything on my laptop (knock on wood), if anything ever got close it's definitely not anywhere near that location. The screws are all black, I think the one looks silver because of the lighting in the picture
I found a picture of somebody else with the same model and theirs looks like this
Image url *clikc*
who has the same problem and appearntly another company using a gtx 1080 gpu installed an extra bar to connect the other heatsink to the cpu too
Image url *click*
2. The plastic cases are indeed attached to the removable back
3. Thank you, i cleaned it a little bit more yesterday

Should I come to the conclusion that I need a better/different/replacement heatsink?

FerrariVie

Super Star
1. I see what you mean, when I looked at it just looked like a glue-y substance, could it be a bit of spillage from the heat paste job? I never spilt anything on my laptop (knock on wood), if anything ever got close it's definitely not anywhere near that location. The screws are all black, I think the one looks silver because of the lighting in the picture
I found a picture of somebody else with the same model and theirs looks like this
Image url *clikc*
who has the same problem and appearntly another company using a gtx 1080 gpu installed an extra bar to connect the other heatsink to the cpu too
Image url *click*
2. The plastic cases are indeed attached to the removable back
3. Thank you, i cleaned it a little bit more yesterday

Should I come to the conclusion that I need a better/different/replacement heatsink?
Thanks for finding that other picture, so it seems that the bent heat pipe is like that by design. Also, good that you checked that the plastic covers are on the backplate as well, so all good there. The weird substance could be the paste that spilt, but could also be something else. By looking at it, do you think it is possible to clean it? In case you would like to try that, remember that only high concentration isopropyl alcohol can be used, preferably 99%. That same solution can be used to clean the paste from the CPU and GPU (and contact with heatsink), in case you want to try applying a better paste yourself.

So we end up now with either a bad paste job (twice, the old and new?) or a bad heatsink design by Quanta on the NL5A. On the former, you also don't know what kind of thermal paste was used, so in case it was a lower quality one, it will not help much. Regarding the latter, not sure how easy would it be to find a better replacement heatsink and also how effective that would actually end up being.

EDIT: Hey, I found a review of that laptop!

Also another user complaining about temps:

It is a nice looking machine, I have to give you that :D , but it seems to be running hot by default (notebookcheck measured 89 to 90°), so it's not unexpected that it would be running hotter a few 3-4 years later. Repasting should bring it back (or closer) to that 90°. I also read somewhere that the 1070 version had a better heatsink design, so maybe it is possible to find and replace it by that one? Not sure if it fits, though.

Last edited: