CPU idling way too high

PC_Gamer

Hello, I've had my pc that I ordered from PCS for over 4 months now and haven't experienced (m)any problems. However, I've noticed that my cpu seems to be idling WAY too high at 54C. It happened last night, I shut down my computer over night and when I turned it on in the morning it was at 37C idle so I thought it was all good. It continued to idle at around 39C-42C for the day but I checked just a few moments ago (It's 12 AM) and it's back at 50+C. Just wondering if anyone knows why it's idling at what usually is this CPU's full load temperature.

Here's a screenshot of speedfan
ZBWq8.png

EDIT: Never mind, for some reason in the AMD vision control center the processor speed was set to run at a constant 3.6 Ghz. I think it might have something to do with a driver update I did a few days ago.

Last edited:

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Have you installed AI Suite II from the ASUS CD?

If not, install that and then go on Fan Xpert, then setup a custom/user setting that you can't hear much more but it is quite a bit higher, if not just use the turbo setting and see if that makes a big difference

You can also speed up the case fans on AI Suite so maybe set them to turbo as well

luckily 54c isnt alarmingly high although it should definitely be lower than that

What case/cpu do you have?

Corfate

Author Level
Also check that nothing is eating up your CPU, such as Java or any other program: (check resource monitor)

truegrace

Enthusiast
Just a query with regards speed fan, just looked on mine and my cpu is at -60C, obviously not right, something I am missing?

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
-60c? yeh thats definitely not right, was that on AI Suite?

If it was I recommend a reinstall of the program then try changing the speeds again

and also check if the heatsink is properly attached like corfate said, just give it a gentle wiggle, it should move a little bit as to not crush the CPU but shouldnt be moving too easily

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
speedfan is useless imo dont use it, the programs i use to check temps are AI Suite and HWMonitor, AI Suite is sometimes buggy so i always have HWMonitor as that never goes wrong

have a look at what it says on HWMonitor

Corfate

Author Level
speedfan is useless imo dont use it, the programs i use to check temps are AI Suite and HWMonitor, AI Suite is sometimes buggy so i always have HWMonitor as that never goes wrong

have a look at what it says on HWMonitor

I find Speedfan very accurate, matches the temps of all the other programs such as AI Probe, CPU-Z etc :)