CPU over heating?

JaM1e

Bronze Level Poster
Hi Guys!

Been a while since I've posted on here, as my PC has been perfect since my purchase. However the last few days my CPU has been over heating quite regularly, even when I start my PC up on a morning when it hasn't been on overnight I get a CPU over temperature error, which takes me into a screen where I can view the core temperatures and fan speeds, the CPU one is crazy hot.

I'm unsure of what has suddenly caused this, my specs are below:

COOLERMASTER CM690 MKII ADVANCED CASE
Overclocked Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core (3.40GHz at max
4.80GHz)
ASUS® P8Z68-V: USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs, NVIDIA®SLI™, ATI®CrossFireX
8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (2 x 4GB KIT)
1.5GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 580 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready
1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
12x BLU-RAY ROM DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW
CORSAIR 750W ENTHUSIAST SERIES™ TX750 V2-80 PLUS® BRONZE
COOLIT ECO II A.L.C (ADVANCED LIQUID COOLER)
ARCTIC COOLING MX-3 HIGH THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS at BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
LOGITECH® G9X LASER GAMING MOUSE
LOGITECH® GAMING HEADSET G35 - 7.1 SURROUND SOUND
3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)

The PC is also very loud even when not gaming... any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jamie

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
What kind have temperature values have you recorded at various stages, idle, startup, gaming etc.

You may have a loose CPU cooler, you should be able to tighten the water cooler towards the motherboard. But be careful so you dont crush the CPU into the motherboard!

tom_gr7

Life Serving
my best advice would be to give the system a deep clean. Get some compressed air and de dust the whole system Including the coolit radiator. A load of dust crammed in there will certainly increase cpu temps.

JaM1e

Bronze Level Poster
I should stress that the actual radiator itself isn't hot, it's the two pipes coming from it and into the CPU that are extremelly hot, and the very bottom of the radiator. I've not recorded any temperatures as of yet, I will be in the next couple of days.

I also plan to give the whole thing a clean out too.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
You mentioned that you saw a screen with high core temperatures what were they?

The pipes are hot due to the liquid, it has probably absorbed as much heat as it can. And obviously the liquid will accumulate more to the bottom of the radiator.

Give the heatsink part attached to the motherboard a light wobble, if there is a lot of movement then it is loose. There should be a bit of flex in it otherwise its crushing the motherboard.

Cleaning it out is also a good idea.

YAMAHA

Gold Level Poster
Sounds like your pump may have expired, you should expect one pipe to be hot, the one going to the rad, its then cooled in the rad and comes back down the other pipe back to the CPU, if both pipes are the same temp the coolant isn`t moving.

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like your pump may have expired, you should expect one pipe to be hot, the one going to the rad, its then cooled in the rad and comes back down the other pipe back to the CPU, if both pipes are the same temp the coolant isn`t moving.

I second that, if your pipes are hot but radiator cold then the coolant isn't moving!

JaM1e

Bronze Level Poster
Okay thanks for the replies... if the coolant isn't moving, what are my options? I've noticed that my CPU fan doesn't appear to be increasing in speed either, happened again this morning and right now idle recording an average temperature of 98°c and the fan speed is only 1862 RPM

Last edited:

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Okay thanks for the replies... if the coolant isn't moving, what are my options? I've noticed that my CPU fan doesn't appear to be increasing in speed either, happened again this morning and right now idle recording an average temperature of 98°c and the fan speed is only 1862 RPM

Are you still under warranty? have you try contacting technical support?