CPU Overheating... Any ideas to resolve?

Outerarm

Hi,

I have a bit of an issue with my rig (specs in sig below). When I boot the machine the CPU temperature quickly rises to over 80C and then the computer shuts down to protect the processor. The motherboard and gfx card are running at ambient room temperature and the various fans in the case are running. I've given the chassis and fans a full clean to clear out any dust but I still get the overheated processor. This started only yesterday and I've had no issues previously.

Any ideas as to what I should try next?

Cheers,
Ian

steaky360

I'm assuming you've not changed the CPU cooler or similar recently?

I'd check the ensure the fans for the H100 are spinning up as required when the PC starts. If not check to see if all the cables / etc are plugged in.

Also I'd check to see if you can hear/feel the pump running (if you touch the pump housing just over the CPU you'll probably be able to feel it) - similarly you might be able to feel the liquid moving through the tubes to the rad. If the pump isn't operating you might have a goosed H100, check to see if its plugged in (I think its via molex?).

Outerarm

Hi mate, thanks for the reply!

Correct, been no change to the rig at all -- was working one day and then not the next!

I'll check the H100 pipes, pump and fans to see what it is doing. Will report back later tonight.

Outerarm

The fans are definitely working, but I'm not 100% convinced on the pump. There is a slight vibration on the pipes (which may be caused by the fans) but I can't feel any movement in the pump housing at all. I've tried adjusting the cooling level by pressing the button on the pump and while increasing the setting does up the fan speed, I don't see any change on CPU temp or feel any movement on the pump case.

Outerarm

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it is, so I've just ordered a new cooler :(

Quick question on applying thermal paste... I presume I should clean off the residue from the old paste first... what is a good method for doing this?

LFC908

Bronze Level Poster
Yeah clean the residue off, I've seen people use isopropyl alcohol quite a lot to remove the thermal paste residue. Might be a safe bet to get some Arctic Silver too. Though I'm sure any PC thermal paste will be sufficient.

Outerarm

Yeah clean the residue off, I've seen people use isopropyl alcohol quite a lot to remove the thermal paste residue. Might be a safe bet to get some Arctic Silver too. Though I'm sure any PC thermal paste will be sufficient.
Arctic Silver already ordered! And I have some IPA around, so good on that front too. Many thanks!

Outerarm

If you're going for a replacement H100i you won't need thermal compound as they come with a pre-applied compound.
Thanks and yes, it comes with the paste applied, but I thought I'd get something better than the basic paste to add conduction.

Outerarm

New cooling system finally arrived on Saturday and has been installed... CPU now runs comfortable at 22C idle and 50C at 100%... And for some reason the whole box sounds quieter!

johncarterwae

Hi,

I have a bit of an issue with my rig (specs in sig below). When I boot the machine the CPU temperature quickly rises to over 80C and then the computer shuts down to protect the processor. The motherboard and gfx card are running at ambient room temperature and the various fans in the case are running. I've given the chassis and fans a full clean to clear out any dust but I still get the overheated processor. This started only yesterday and I've had no issues previously.

Any ideas as to what I should try next?

Cheers,
Ian

I'd check the ensure the fans for the H100 are spinning up as required when the PC starts. If not check to see if all the cables / etc are plugged in.
o.png