CPU overheating / liquid cooling failure?

bigbauss

Hi, I have had the same problem for the last month and have struggled to find a permanent fix online.

Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-3820 (3.6GHz) 10MB Cache
Motherboard ASUS® P9X79 PRO: INTEL® SOCKET LG2011
Memory (RAM) 16GB KINGSTON HYPERX GENESIS QUAD-DDR3 1600MHz X.M.P(4 x 4GB KIT)
Graphics Card 3GB AMD RADEON™ HD7970 - DVI,HDMI,2 mDP - DX® 11, Eyefinity 4 Capable
Power Supply CORSAIR 650W ENTHUSIAST SERIES™ TX650 V2-80 PLUS® BRONZE (£69)
Processor Cooling - INTEL CERTIFIED LIQUID CPU COOLER FOR SOCKET LG2011 (£79)
Win7 64bit

(if you need more information ill get it)

I think the liquid cooling system is not in full physical contact with the CPU, I am pretty inexperienced with handling parts so i've tried to refrain from touching anything except from changing the thermal paste (cleaned properly with the formulas etc).

It started suddenly when i heard my fans speeding up and i could not understand why, i checked my load and it was fine but my temp was peaking at 85°C.
I checked my liquid cooling and it seemed fine. so eventually i ended up changing the thermal paste to arctic silver 5 (the temperature change was too sudden but i tried it anyway) this did not make much of a difference.
I checked to make sure if it was physically attached ok and it was.

Now i am idling at around 55°C, my temps spike so bad for no reason even things such as loading videos/downloading etc. It seems the smallest activity spikes the temp.
I read sometimes the liquid cooling radiator sometimes gets clogged so i cleaned it even though it was not bad. i also read that sometimes the tubes clog or get blocked? how could i test this?

Basically any advice right now would be greatly appreciated as i am worried about my PC.

thanks in advance.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
100c is far too hot at stock speeds.

- Is the fan working?

give pcs a call mate, I'd probably stop running it, incase it bursts.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Do any of the tubes from the radiator feel warm? Is it just 1 that's warm, or are they both stone cold. Is the pump working?

You say it's not properly seated, is it possible to post pictures? I can understand how it might not be seated properly after you changed the paste but that would not be the initial cause of the spike so unless you dropped it, kicked it or otherwise abused it I wouldn't put any money on that being the cause. I would put money on the pump having gone bang but without seeing it myself it would be hard to say for sure.

halox

Enthusiast
I think your CPU is probably in contact with the heatsink otherwise it would overheat very quickly and BSOD. It sounds very like the cooling unit itself is faulty. Perhaps a faulty pump or blockage. Make sure it is definitely not leaking. If it is take it out straight away. Depending on where you are about in the UK I have a few spare heat sinks you could try if it is out of warranty, water and air. If its still under warranty call the supplier.

If you have a 12V source you can use, a good way to check an all in one CPU cooler is pumping ok is to take it out of the PC and remove the fan. When the pump is running put the radiator in hot water and after a few seconds the copper heatsink that is in contact with the CPU will get hot. Then try it with cold water and it should cool down quickly. Make sure the radiator is completely dry before putting it back in the PC.

bigbauss

thanks guys,
- one pump is really warm the other is a little warm (guessing its meant to be cold?).
-View attachment 3596
-View attachment 3597
- It's definitely not leaking and cheers for the offer mate but its under warrenty so worst comes to worst i can just get a guy out.
- Ok if you guys don't see anything out of the ordinary with the pics then i will try the water testing.

halox

Enthusiast
thanks guys,
- one pump is really warm the other is a little warm (guessing its meant to be cold?).
-View attachment 3596
-View attachment 3597
- It's definitely not leaking and cheers for the offer mate but its under warrenty so worst comes to worst i can just get a guy out.
- Ok if you guys don't see anything out of the ordinary with the pics then i will try the water testing.

The attachments are not working!

keynes

Multiverse Poster
thanks guys,
-View attachment 3596
-View attachment 3597

I would suggest contacting PCS tomorrow and request an RMA for the CPU cooler. their technical support is excellent, when my CPU cooler was malfunctioning I got sent a new one the next day.