Cpu question, trying to learn more

leea123

Enthusiast
Hi all , just a little question regarding my 5900x . When gaming for example world of warcraft the max speed i see is around 2.6Mhz for the cpu. and with red dead 2 I see 3.6 Mhz for the cpu . What i am trying to understand is, do different games for example just use what they need up to the max speed of the cpu , or should the cpu be running at its near max when gaming. Just not understanding how some games use different speeds . I have also noticed pbo is set to auto in bios, should i leave it on auto or enabled ?

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi all , just a little question regarding my 5900x . When gaming for example world of warcraft the max speed i see is around 2.6Mhz for the cpu. and with red dead 2 I see 3.6 Mhz for the cpu . What i am trying to understand is, do different games for example just use what they need up to the max speed of the cpu , or should the cpu be running at its near max when gaming. Just not understanding how some games use different speeds . I have also noticed pbo is set to auto in bios, should i leave it on auto or enabled ?
As you step up resolution, the game load moves more onto the GPU away from the CPU.

Similarly there are some games which are more processor bound and others that are heavily GPU bound.

PBO should be disabled, overvlocking Ryzen will decrease gaming performance not increase it.

leea123

Enthusiast
As you step up resolution, the game load moves more onto the GPU away from the CPU.

Similarly there are some games which are more processor bound and others that are heavily GPU bound.

PBO should be disabled, overvlocking Ryzen will decrease gaming performance not increase it.
Thank you for that, so i should go into bios and turn the pbo from auto to off ?