CPU Temp

LDUK

Master Poster
What's the average CPU temperature, and what temperature should you do best not to exceed?

Sweeney47

I think around 30 Idle, 60 max under load is 'safe' Anything over 70 you want to start worrying but it really depends on the CPU...

I thought my current CPU had major issues with heating about a year or so ago, then I realised the TJmax in the program I was using was set to the wrong figure and my CPU was actually running quite cool under load :D

Thats the problem with a lot of temp recording software, they dont actually measure the temperature, they measure the distance from the TJmax then tell you the result of TJmax - distance from TJmax = Temp.

So if your CPU has a TJmax of 70c but the program is set for TJmax of 100c it will report the temp as 60 rather than 30.

At least thats how I understand it :p

Last edited:

LDUK

Master Poster
I think around 30 Idle, 60 max under load is 'safe' Anything over 70 you want to start worrying but it really depends on the CPU...

I thought my current CPU had major issues with heating about a year or so ago, then I realised the TJmax in the program I was using was set to the wrong figure and my CPU was actually running quite cool under load :D

Ok thanks dude!
Ha lol. That's a good mistake.

Gorman

Author Level
I think around 30 Idle, 60 max under load is 'safe' Anything over 70 you want to start worrying but it really depends on the CPU

As sweeney says, it really does depend on the CPU, some AMD's will burn out at 70, some I7 will be fine until you hit 100. Always best to check with the maker of the chip.

JJ_Young

Bronze Level Poster
Hey

Just downloaded this since there was a few posts on it,
Does this look normal for a PC that is just sitting idle, What does the TJ Max 100 c mean?
coretempscry.png

Gorman

Author Level
Looks fine to me, i idle at mid 40's with my I7 at stock and thats with a massive watercooling loop. Whats the temp if you run prime 95 for an hour or so, or fold?

Gorman

Author Level
p.s tjmax is the point that the temp is measured from. So the sensor doesnt know that 44c is 44c, it just knows what its tjmax is and comes to the guesstimate of the current temp by calculating the difference. So thats why temp reading are always more accurate the closer to tjmax it is.

Sweeney47

Thats the problem with a lot of temp recording software, they dont actually measure the temperature, they measure the distance from the TJmax then tell you the result of TJmax - distance from TJmax = Temp.

So if your CPU has a TJmax of 70c but the program is set for TJmax of 100c it will report the temp as 60 rather than 30

:D. You need to find out what your TJmax is for your CPU then change the settings in the program to get an 'accurate' reading. I have noticed Intel are a bit reluactant to share the info on the I7 unless I missed it?

Gorman

Author Level
:D. You need to find out what your TJmax is for your CPU then change the settings in the program to get an 'accurate' reading. I have noticed Intel are a bit reluactant to share the info on the I7 unless I missed it?

I7= 100c afaik

Sweeney47

It is? Ok, I spent a little while trying to find what it was a couple of weeks back and all I could see was peoples guess work, no official figures but either way, with any form of decent cooling system you shouldnt reach it unless you seriously overclock...

Sweeney47

well thats awesome, think my Q6700 is 71... As I said earlier there was a time where I was really panicing that my CPU was overheating when it was getting to about 75, only to realise the TJmax value was incorrect (100) in the program and so the 'assumed' temperature reading was well off.

Ofcourse outtake fan having a 2mm layer of dust covering the whole thing didnt help :D Trusty air duster soon sorted that though...

Gorman

Author Level
Yup you do have to put a lot of effort into killing an Intel.

Its not like theyre one of these AMD toys that fry at room temperature.....