CPU Temp

holty2503

Bronze Level Poster
Just a quick one why have my temps gone really high after a benchmark, my laptop is totally standard as I never had a qlue on how to adjust voltage, it all look a bit scary on the Intel XTU.

Someone kind of showed me the princible on how to do it but I bottled it, could someone tell me how to do it on Intel XTU because I'm pretty sure there to high, temps we're better then that when I first got the laptop they just seemed to be worse now do you thing it needs re pasting?

GPU temps we're only at 72c after I ran the test it looks like its just the CPU.

CPU Temp.JPG

phitol

Bronze Level Poster
You need to graph your temperatures to really know, I've posted in a few threads, but the way modern gaming CPU's work is they can ramp up to incredibly high power levels for very short periods of time and are designed in those situations to hit their thermal limits. but this is occasional and can be seen in the graphs, so you need to see when that 'max' temperature was reached.

Note that if you have sustained high 80's/low 90's and thermal throttling for several minutes with the fans max'd out then you have some form of issue,

In fact, you could use AIDA64's free version to do a stress test, use the 'unified' graph option which has CPU Package Power and CPU Package Temperature (IIRC, you might need to go to preferences and set this up), this will show you what the CPU is doing over time and can be very enlightening.

If you just look at 'Max' temperature during any benchmark/stress test/whilst gaming you will find your CPU may very occasionally ramp up and hit thermal limits but the average/normal temperatures might well be quite reasonable.

And of course, ensure you are using performance mode and I'd manually max out the fans for comparison reasons.

I could do some screen shots on using XTU to undervolt only, but before going down that road, you need a consistent way of comparing apples to apples, so I'd get AIDA64 Free Version first, set a baseline, see if things are in the ballpark of reasonable, then move on to undervolting, as you will still see a max of high 90';s and thermal throttling for very normal reasons.