Crysis 2 - Ultra settings

cadence

Bronze Level Poster
Afternoon all. I'm just testing out Crysis 2 on my new GTX570 and was wondering what other people think of the "Ultra DX11 patch" that Crytek released. I must have dodgy eyes because I can't really see much difference between the Ultra settings and the Extreme settings, except quite a big performance hit on the framerate when you set it to Ultra. Anyone else think the same? What are the main differences? Are the extreme settings running at DX9 and Ultra at DX11? What about DX10?! Anyway, it's a fairly good game, but really feels like it's been built for consoles. The original is way better IMO and looks better even though it's a 4 year old game.

NilSatis

Bright Spark
No, not impossible at all. I run max settings on crysis 1 with some graphics mods aswell; runs great at 1920 x 1080p; get from 50-70fps and seems nice and smooth with no stuttering at all. Without eye candy mods, just vanilla; even more fps. I have a 6950 2gb with shaders unlocked. As the question was about Crysis 2 lol; afraid I havent installed my copy yet so cant answer that one. I have heard differing opinions on the ultra settings; but cant comment myself.

If you find it jerky, and havent done so yet, disable vsync and try then. May get some tearing but if performance is hit enough then you will see better performance with it off and minimal/no tearing. On Crysis 1 vsync seemed to really badly affect performance for me unless triple buffering was turned on.

Last edited:

cadence

Bronze Level Poster
That's why I was confused, I've also got Crysis installed and it's as high as it will go! It really does look better than Crysis 2 I think. Not really sure what Crytek have been doing for 4 years! Sticking Crysis 2 on ultra does give me quite a performance hit though, so I'll see what disabling v-sync does. Just wondered if anyone really noticed any difference compared to the "extreme" settings though. I was reading up on it earlier and it looks like Extreme is using DX9. The Ultra patch is DX11 so there are some fancy new effects, but to be honest I just didn't notice them!

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Crysis 1 on max is easy, it only drops slightly when running at over 6000 x 1080. Crysis 2 isnt as good graphically, but then it was designed for console. DX11 is much more advanced than DX9 and alloo9ws much mroe complex calculations. You will not generally see a massive graphical advatage, more things like flags, crowds etc.

DanteWilhelm

Bright Spark
I find that it looks good enough

i have crysis warhead, i got a load of texture mods for it

i get this weird line on the screen

but it doesn't lag and actually runs better than most games.

i cba with all the mods, all they do is increase HDR, bloom, and make stuff look crappy.

cadence

Bronze Level Poster
There seems to be a strange "bloom" effect in Crysis 2 that look, well, a bit crap, like everything is over exposed. Not sure if that's the look they were going for! I agree though Frenchy, the original still looks better.