Current Laptop Range

Hewhoist

Enthusiast
Hi all,

I've tried to keep up to date with upcoming releases for cpu's and gpu's I'm considering a Recoil II, I know it's a new chassis for PCS but I'm trying to find out if it might be worth waiting a month or so? I know the i7 chip is the latest batch but the 1060 is to be replaced this year?

I'm sure the 1060 is enough power for the intended use. I'm aiming more for a laptop that will last a few years and if there's going to be a release of a 1160 for example in a few months I'd prefer to wait. That being said there's no guarantee for release for laptops and current chassis with new cards.

Any information would be appreciated. My current octane III has a i7 and 6700k and I'd hoped it would last me several years. I'm choosing to get another laptop but a more portable one. Battery life isn't essential I just want a cool running machine (no horrific fan curves, throttling or machines that are so hot to use they are uncomfortable) that has a good screen and the power to run Photoshop and my work software (CPU intensive) but can also handle the latest games without struggling.

Thanks

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
As you say there are no guarantees and there's still only speculation at this point. I've heard maybe August-ish for the 1180 for desktops. They usually start with the high end cards and then move down the line, releasing others some months later. After all, the lower end is still filled by the older generation. Mobile cards usually seem to come out a while after the desktop ones.

I wouldn't expect to see new laptop GPUs within ~3 months of now. You can check sites like Videocardz for rumours. Techpowerup will also repost news and rumours, possibly a bit more liberally than Videocardz.

Hewhoist

Enthusiast
As you say there are no guarantees and there's still only speculation at this point. I've heard maybe August-ish for the 1180 for desktops. They usually start with the high end cards and then move down the line, releasing others some months later. After all, the lower end is still filled by the older generation. Mobile cards usually seem to come out a while after the desktop ones.

I wouldn't expect to see new laptop GPUs within ~3 months of now. You can check sites like Videocardz for rumours. Techpowerup will also repost news and rumours, possibly a bit more liberally than Videocardz.

Yeah I saw Q3 for Volta cards but as you say they always start with the high end releases and the laptops further down the line.

I've been looking at the planned releases for the laptop cpus and it will be the same for the cannon lake cpus I think.

Just would hate to spend 1k on a laptop for a month or so later a new CPU and GPU to become available. That said obviously everything is obsolete an hour after you get it with this technology.

Anyone in here purchased a Recoil II yet? Saw a review of the chassis on NBR not many complaints which is good. Wondering if there's anything different about PCS iteration of the chassis.

My only real concern is the 1060 how good it will perform for 1080 which is enough for my needs I'm not looking for 4k gaming on a portable laptop just a decent screen.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
The GTX 1060 is more than fine for 1080p gaming. High-ultra settings depending on the game.

PCS won't have modified the chassis on the Recoil.

Hewhoist

Enthusiast
The GTX 1060 is more than fine for 1080p gaming. High-ultra settings depending on the game.

PCS won't have modified the chassis on the Recoil.

But for how long haha. Hopefully my Octane will be repairable. My current use doesn't need an octane which is a shame because I liked how powerful it was but hated carrying it to work and up stairs lol

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
It's still May, and these things may well not be out until Oct-Nov at the earliest. If that rumour even turns out to be true, ofc; there's another rumour suggesting Nvidia may go with 7nm over 12nm, pushing the desktop GPU releases even further back.

The point is that while new mobile GPUs may release before the end of the calendar year, we're still not halfway through it yet and they're not expected soon.

Last edited: