Curry’s vortex G70 ram slots

Jef

Good afternoon
I purchased the g70 from currys recently
I would like to know how many ram slots the motherboard has I can see two the ram is currently in. There seems to be another two. On the other side of the cooling fan as I want to increase the ram

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
It is a Gigabyte B660 motherboard. It has four RAM slots, so you can indeed add two more.

I'll counsel first, though: only add them if you're sure you need them. Adding RAM doesn't make the system faster unless you are currently using all of what you have installed. Otherwise it will just sit there useless! And, secondly, you need to make sure that you are installing the same RAM as in the other sockets, otherwise you may well run into compatibility issues or be forced to run the RAM at lower speeds to make it work. You can look up the precise RAM you have installed with an app like CPU-Z or HWiNFO64.

But, as I say, only upgrade it if you need to.

Jef

It is a Gigabyte B660 motherboard. It has four RAM slots, so you can indeed add two more.

I'll counsel first, though: only add them if you're sure you need them. Adding RAM doesn't make the system faster unless you are currently using all of what you have installed. Otherwise it will just sit there useless! And, secondly, you need to make sure that you are installing the same RAM as in the other sockets, otherwise you may well run into compatibility issues or be forced to run the RAM at lower speeds to make it work. You can look up the precise RAM you have installed with an app like CPU-Z or HWiNFO64.

But, as I say, only upgrade it if you need to.
Thanks for your reply
I intend to run ms flight sim with VR. So was going to add another 16gb of ram. There is a good deal going on marketplace nearby

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Thanks for your reply
I intend to run ms flight sim with VR. So was going to add another 16gb of ram. There is a good deal going on marketplace nearby
…and how are you going to ensure the RAM matches exactly what you have, as the RAM will probably have OEM, rather than retail, part numbers on the sticks.

Jef

…and how are you going to ensure the RAM matches exactly what you have, as the RAM will probably have OEM, rather than retail, part numbers on the sticks.
Perhaps you could give me some help with this rather than allowing me to make a mistake.

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Perhaps you could give me some help with this rather than allowing me to make a mistake.
You need to find out what you have. If you don't have it already, download CPU-Z and look at the memory and SPD tabs. Probably the easiest thing to do is to take some screenshots and post them here. It may then be possible to help you find appropriate memory to add to the system.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Other than calling up PCS and registering your PC, and using the upgrade option from your new account…

The easiest way would be to remove one of the sticks and copy the exact part number to see if you get any matches online., or use CPU-Z software.

If not, the next step is to see if you can ‘decode’ the part number to see exactly what the spec is, and see if you can find matching pairs of sticks that way.

The final option is to sell what you already have and buy either 2 x identical 16GB sticks, or 4 x identical 8GB sticks.