Damaged DVD Recovery Software?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Has anyone on here ever been down the damaged DVD recovery route and can suggest a software tool that can help? I'm currently running through the trial versions of all the DVD recovery tools I can find, but most of these tools won't even run unless Windows has recognised and loaded the disk - the one I'm testing now will run but it's been scanning the disk for over 6 hours already and is at 70%, so this is going to be a long process.

The DVD in question is one of three. I took a shed load of camcorder video on a USA coast-to-coast trip we did in 1998 and later had it 'professionally' transferred to DVD. All three DVDs have played in the past but as you might imagine we've not watched them for 15 years or so. Disks 2 and 3 are fine and I've transferred those to mp4 and backed them up in several places, so they're good. Disk 1 will only load and play on one DVD player I have (a cheap Shinco portable player). I've tried it on around 8 other DVD players, PCs and laptops and none will load it. I can physically connect the AV-Out on the Shinco player to my PC and copy the video as it comes in, but even on that player it stutters and eventually stops altogether.

The disk looks ok. There are some very superficial scratches on it but nothing that should cause these problems. I've no idea what type of disk this is, whether it's +R or -R nor of what quality, there's nothing on the disk to identify it. It seems a little more serious than just the classic 'incompatible drive/writer' problems we've become used to with writable DVDs.

So if anyone has been down this route before and knows of a tool that works with a DVD that Windows doesn't want to load I'd love to know. I'll gladly pay for a tool that can recover some or most of the video on this disk. :)

Linda

Hi Ubuysa I know how you feel as I had a similar thing happen to me a few years ago.
I was told to get some tissue paper tear it and with the torn edge and using something like washing up liquid, olive oil or even wd 40 oil wipe over the disc. I was unsure but tried it as I had nothing to loose as the disc would not play. I was amazed it worked perhaps I was just lucky but it may be worth a try and then you could make a copy.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Hi Ubuysa I know how you feel as I had a similar thing happen to me a few years ago.
I was told to get some tissue paper tear it and with the torn edge and using something like washing up liquid, olive oil or even wd 40 oil wipe over the disc. I was unsure but tried it as I had nothing to loose as the disc would not play. I was amazed it worked perhaps I was just lucky but it may be worth a try and then you could make a copy.
Thanks for that, I'm reluctant to try solutions that involve modifying the disk itself until I've exhausted other non-intrusive ones. If push comes to shove I'll give your suggestion a try, thanks!

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I feel for you...to have those memories there but inaccessible! I have no personal experience at DVD Recovery so only going by what I have literally just read....Isopuzzle seems like it might be useful maybe:

IsoPuzzle

I found it recommended on the forum at Hexus...while I don't know the poster, I do know the site:

Hexus

Thanks for this, I've already tried ISOPuzzle. Sadly, like so many of these types of tool, it won't work unless the disk can be loaded. Most tools simply report no disk in drive and that's that.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Well this is interesting. I have one tool running that can read the disk, but it's taking about 20 seconds to scan each sector.

On a UDF formatted DVD each sector is 2048 bytes, so on a 4.7GB DVD there are over 2 million sectors.

2 million sectors at 20 seconds per sector is a run time of 18 months. Hmmm........

Flkrz

Does it have to be a Windows based recovery? I've had decent luck in the past recovering various types of HDD storage using Linux systems (notably a ISO bootloader drive with a wiped partition table and a failed RAID 1 pair).

Linux should be able to more or less directly read from the disk without needing to open it if that makes sense (although it will still need to mount it). If you can get it showing up in Linux with an fdisk -l then there's hope for creating a DD image of the entire disk.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Does it have to be a Windows based recovery? I've had decent luck in the past recovering various types of HDD storage using Linux systems (notably a ISO bootloader drive with a wiped partition table and a failed RAID 1 pair).

Linux should be able to more or less directly read from the disk without needing to open it if that makes sense (although it will still need to mount it). If you can get it showing up in Linux with an fdisk -l then there's hope for creating a DD image of the entire disk.
Thanks for this, I might give Linux a try when I've exhausted the Windows options. TBH I'm finding general data recovery tools, especially those designed for HDDs, to be of limited use on a DVD. The file formats are different and the challenges reading flaky sectors is different, so I'm focusing on DVD specific tools for now.

Thanks for the help though, it's much appreciated. :)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
So I've admitted defeat. No software on either my laptop or PC will read the disk, those that will actually read it at all complain of either 'bad format' or 'bad burn'. I then resorted to methods involving the disk itself. Olive oil didn't help at all - not even the best quality virgin oil from Kritsa - neither did WD40. Furniture polish didn't help either. The killer was toothpaste - I didn't believe it would help but several sites claimed it would 'polish' minor scratches out. It doesn't. What it does is put a million more scratches in! The Shinco player won't play it at all now so it's just so much useless plastic. Ah well, if we've not watched it in 15 years it's not exactly something we're going to miss....

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions, I've learned to copy important DVDs to MP4 files - something I'm now doing with all the others.....

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
So I've admitted defeat. No software on either my laptop or PC will read the disk, those that will actually read it at all complain of either 'bad format' or 'bad burn'. I then resorted to methods involving the disk itself. Olive oil didn't help at all - not even the best quality virgin oil from Kritsa - neither did WD40. Furniture polish didn't help either. The killer was toothpaste - I didn't believe it would help but several sites claimed it would 'polish' minor scratches out. It doesn't. What it does is put a million more scratches in! The Shinco player won't play it at all now so it's just so much useless plastic. Ah well, if we've not watched it in 15 years it's not exactly something we're going to miss....

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions, I've learned to copy important DVDs to MP4 files - something I'm now doing with all the others.....

maybe the other option is to create ISO's of them all, then you can always burn a new disc from them.....

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam

Similar thing happened to us. My parents have next to nothing of my brother from his birth up until he was around 3. They had only done the one copy of everything and it failed.

Gavras

Master Poster
Have you looked at various forensic tools to recover images (Xways forensics, Bulk Extractor etc).

obviously key to them is actually having something getting read.

Pretty good at recovering deleted files and images....

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Have you looked at various forensic tools to recover images (Xways forensics, Bulk Extractor etc).

obviously key to them is actually having something getting read.

Pretty good at recovering deleted files and images....
I did dip my toe in the water of professional recovery and it looks to be stupidly expensive. I have found a guy on eBay who has a professional DVD polishing machine and he'll polish it for only £2.95 plus postage, so I'll give that a try as a last resort.

The main problem with this disk is not reading it per se it's getting it to load. Most tools simply report 'no disk' and thus won't attempt to read it.

Thanks for the help though. :)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I've found a guy in the UK with a professional CD/DVD polishing machine. No, not one of these dubious quality hand cranked things, but a proper professional polisher. I've sent the DVD to him and he's going to try and remove all the surface scratches and marks, though it depends how deep they are of course. This is the last chance saloon, I'll let you know if it works....

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I've found a guy in the UK with a professional CD/DVD polishing machine. No, not one of these dubious quality hand cranked things, but a proper professional polisher. I've sent the DVD to him and he's going to try and remove all the surface scratches and marks, though it depends how deep they are of course. This is the last chance saloon, I'll let you know if it works....
Can I be rude and ask a rough figure on how much it costs to polish one DVD? Am extremely interested in restoring CD's also.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Can I be rude and ask a rough figure on how much it costs to polish one DVD? Am extremely interested in restoring CD's also.
£2.95 (yep, under 3 Pounds) with free UK postage. I found him on eBay, he's in Louth, Lincs. If that's not enough to find him PM me.

I've no idea how good his machine is yet though. [emoji846]

slimbob

Enthusiast
Really sorry to hear about this, it must be terrible and frustrating. Sorry I don't have any advice or useful recommendations to share on the subject. I hope this doesn't happen again and all your other DVD's are o.k.