DC charger port melting on Optimus

abbasynia

I have an Optimus series, CLEVO NH55DD which I bought in June 2020.

I was playing a game and then started to smell burning plastic. Later found that the plastic in my charger was melting. I ordered a new charger and then that has started to melt too! The melting smell only occurs whilst playing this particular game, the game starts to flake, then I take the charger out, cool it down, put it back in and the game runs smoothly for a minute or so until the same cycle repeats. Is the game causing my laptop to take more power from my charger? Can my DC jack not handle such power so it starts melting? Does this melting cause my whole PC to throttle?

I took my back cover off and can see some oxidation around the DC jack.

From the service guide, number 8 is the power jack.
1702050844061.png

I thought it may be because the processor and GPU are overheating, maybe I need to reapply some thermal paste, but when I switched the laptop on without the back cover, whilst the CPU and GPU areas would get warm, it did seem like the heat pipes were doing an effective job at spreading the heat away and they were only warm, not very hot. I then went to plug a charger in and within a couple of seconds, the power jack was burning as soon as you touch it.

My warranty ended 6 months ago, so PCS won't really help me.

I have ordered this from eBay which looks like it is the same DC input part: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184557276326?hash=item2af8788ca6:g:H6sAAOSwimJj5NyZ

Is my only option to re-solder? I've seen on other threads some people have suggested to replace the entire motherboard, but would rather not.

1702052446210.png
1702052474778.png
1702052645571.png

Last edited: