DDoS attacks

mog3

Silver Level Poster
Hey, I was hoping someone here might have some knowledge/wxperience in how to stop DDoS attacks, the gaming servers and Teamspeak server we use for battlefield 3 & 4 have been getting crashed with this, we unfortunately upset someone (again) by banning them for using cheats! it has been confirmed by our server provider that it is this, any ideas would be welcome, thanks

WortonTech

Bronze Level Poster
Hi.

The best way to avoid this is to put a firewall infront of the server that support the denial of ddos attacks. Something like a Cisco ASA or a fortinet firewall will be ok.

mog3

Silver Level Poster
Hi.

The best way to avoid this is to put a firewall infront of the server that support the denial of ddos attacks. Something like a Cisco ASA or a fortinet firewall will be ok.

thanks wortontech i will look into this, we are looking at paid monthly services at the moment which is a better solution?

mog3

Silver Level Poster
Hey again, I think the only problem with the firewalls (im a noob so bear with me) that the machines provide is they have to be with the servers that they protect, this isnt an option as we hire server space from a couple of companies!

WortonTech

Bronze Level Poster
If your servers are distributed around different data centres then you may need a number of firewalls to limit this. This might turn out to be an expensive option as the servers need to have the traffic passed via the firewall before it hits them.

mog3

Silver Level Poster
K, i thought so thanks for the help though, it has stopped now (we were contacted by someone who was paid to do the attack to tell us it was stopping as the "client had no more funds lol)

Androcles

Rising Star
thanks wortontech i will look into this, we are looking at paid monthly services at the moment which is a better solution?

If you are renting server space then it is up to the company that provides the server to protect you against this kind of thing, if the host you are using cannot or will not provide adequate protection against intrusive attacks then you need to find a new host.

mog3

Silver Level Poster
Thanks Androcles, thats our thought too, we are getting a different type of attack this week, not so full on but very regular, our provider seems to be managing/holding it off a bit better, but we will see, we are not sure if its the same person/people or its some1 else we have upset lol