Decisions, decisions - Intel or AMD

Rakk

The Awesome
So, I had a plan, an awesome plan!
My next new PC was planned for about late June/July - I had most of it planned in my head and it included either the i5-12600k or the i7-2700k

And then, last week, the AMD stuff was announced --- goddammit, they look nice ...... mutter, mutter, grumble, grumble, mutter, mutter

So I now have a dilemma, get the 12600k/12700k or wait a few more months for the new AMD goodiness - I would normally say it's best not to wait for the next best thing as you'll end up waiting forever, but it has been announced, and is going to be here fairly soon (Fall 2022 they claimed - so I guess late Sep/Oct/Nov).

Things to note about my upcoming spec (whether it be Intel or AMD) - the ancient game I play (yes I'm still playing Everquest2) is CPU based and really really benefits from clock speed - it was written when multi-cores weren't really a thing yet so it mostly uses one core - and by the sounds of things the AMD's have a hefty boost in that over the Intel 12th Gen - 12th gen is a bit above my current i7-9700k, but not by too much to be honest (my 9700k gets to 4.7 or 4.8, the 12700k gets to about 4.9/5 depending where you look, the AMD's I think are getting upto 5.5 - that's a hefty jump).

I realise the new AMD machines will need the pricey DDR5 RAM and whilst I'll scowl at it, and my wallet might try and run away, my PC knows all its details :)

So yeah thoughts please, do I wait that extra couple of months for the AMD's - noting that my PC is running perfectly fine so there is no great rush - except that I want new stuff :):):)

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So, I had a plan, an awesome plan!
My next new PC was planned for about late June/July - I had most of it planned in my head and it included either the i5-12600k or the i7-2700k

And then, last week, the AMD stuff was announced --- goddammit, they look nice ...... mutter, mutter, grumble, grumble, mutter, mutter

So I now have a dilemma, get the 12600k/12700k or wait a few more months for the new AMD goodiness - I would normally say it's best not to wait for the next best thing as you'll end up waiting forever, but it has been announced, and is going to be here fairly soon (Fall 2022 they claimed - so I guess late Sep/Oct/Nov).

Things to note about my upcoming spec (whether it be Intel or AMD) - the ancient game I play (yes I'm still playing Everquest2) is CPU based and really really benefits from clock speed - it was written when multi-cores weren't really a thing yet so it mostly uses one core - and by the sounds of things the AMD's have a hefty boost in that over the Intel 12th Gen - 12th gen is a bit above my current i7-9700k, but not by too much to be honest (my 9700k gets to 4.7 or 4.8, the 12700k gets to about 4.9/5 depending where you look, the AMD's I think are getting upto 5.5 - that's a hefty jump).
I realise the new AMD machines will need the pricey DDR5 RAM and whilst I'll scowl at it, and my wallet might try and run away, my PC knows all its details :)

So yeah thoughts please, do I wait that extra couple of months for the AMD's - noting that my PC is running perfectly fine so there is no great rush - except that I want new stuff :):):)
I would say it's gonna be worth waiting.

Benefits will be:

Lower power consumption - big win in my book

Higher boost clocks and IPC

Likely better thermals

Far more L2 and L3 cache which greatly favours even old games

Much better IO support on the motherboards for PCIe 5 NVME drives, far better USB C 20gbs support, and more NVME slots

Downsides:

Undoubtedly going to cost more, but for the gains I'd say that balances out.

You won't be selling your soul to the devil, to some that's a downside.

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
If it's any consolation @Rakk I'm waiting for 7000 AMD also, and then will be buying bit by bit rather than investing in the full system all at once.

We can sing songs as we wait

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
I’d like to give my answer in the form of a meme, please.

20511326-7AB0-488F-A577-7C946E57AF75.jpeg

Rakk

The Awesome
Thanks guys, I think you just confirmed what I was thinking anyways, with the AMD release being pretty close and actually in sight with dates set it'd be silly not to wait (and oooo that clock boost)

Willing to see any other opinions though :)

I've been with Intel since 2007, change is a-coming!

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Have you considered sticking with what you have or upgrading slightly? I don't know if I would, in all honesty, upgrade a 9700k for single threaded reasons.

With a tiny bit of fettling you could OC the 9700k to 5.2Ghz, at the very least on one core. At the very least it's good for 5Ghz across all the cores.

It may just give you enough of an increase to hold off; not so much for better tech, but for better value.