Decisions

HMFC_Riley

Enthusiast
Ordered my monitor, keyboard and mouse today so they're all on the way :)

Which just leaves me awaiting the paycheck so I can order the tower ;)

Spec so far is:
Core i7 930 OCed to 4GHz
ASUS P6X58D-E
6GB/12GB Kingston DDR3 1600MHz (Depends on money. 12GB is overkill especially for games at the moment so may just stick to 6GB.)
60GB OCZ Vertex II SSD
1TB HDD
CoolIT ECO A.L.C

So you may have noticed I've STILL not decided on a GPU.

My heart says GTX 480 SLI. My head says 5970 and add another 5870 or 5970 down the line.

So basically... If I get the GTX 480 SLI will there be enough cooling? Since alot of people have only recommended me getting a setup if I live in Antarctica (I guess Scotland is close enough...)

Also will 1000W be enough? Or upgrade

Is it possible to have a slot between them for extra airflow? I won't be using the last slot.

Also in regards to the trial versions you shove on the computers for testing. Is it possible to request this just be left on (assuming it's Windows 7 Premium?) to save me the trouble of having to faff around for a few hours downloading, writing and reinstalling Windows 7 instead of me just shoving in my activation key?

Input/Advice welcome :)

Last edited:

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
If I get the GTX 480 SLI will there be enough cooling?

I would recommend a gaming case for the configuration, Maelstrom T900, CoolerMaster, Antec, etc

Also will 1000W be enough? Or upgrade

For a GTX480 I would recommend a Corsair 850W or above.

Is it possible to have a slot between them for extra airflow? I won't be using the last slot.

Depending on the motherboard, there is sometimes a small gap, but we cannot use the very bottom slow due to the case configurations with the PSU and the fact that the card is double thickness.

Also in regards to the trial versions you shove on the computers for testing. Is it possible to request this just be left on (assuming it's Windows 7 Premium?) to save me the trouble of having to faff around for a few hours downloading, writing and reinstalling Windows 7 instead of me just shoving in my activation key?

After placing your order please contact us and we will add a task to leave the OS on for you, which you will then need to activate immediately with your genuine licence key. Our software is OEM, so your licence key will need to be an OEM and OEM licences are permitted on one computer only. You will most likely have to call the Microsoft Product Activation Centre.

Last edited:

LDUK

Master Poster
I would go GTX 480 SLI. Simply due to the tessellation and PhysX which happens to be more future proof than the 5970/5870.

HMFC_Riley

Enthusiast
I would recommend a gaming case for the configuration, Maelstrom T900, CoolerMaster, Antec, etc

I had written this out before with the original message before Firefox decided to close. Should have added that it's a HAF-X Case I'll be getting. I take it this should be adequate?

For a GTX480 I would recommend a Corsair 850W or above.
Since it's 2 GTX 480's though I would have thought the minimum would've been 1000W?

Depending on the motherboard, there is sometimes a small gap, but we cannot use the very bottom slow due to the case configurations with the PSU and the fact that the card is double thickness.

So only the RAMPAGE III would be able to do this then out of the 3 options?

After placing your order please contact us and we will add a task to leave the OS on for you, which you will then need to activate immediately with your genuine licence key. Our software is OEM, so your licence key will need to be an OEM and OEM licences are permitted on one computer only. You will most likely have to call the Microsoft Product Activation Centre.

Just checked on my MSDN Alliance and no info as to what type it is. Will download and write it again just incase I do have to reinstall it myself.

Cheers :)

Matt

Bright Spark
Always pick the single card solution where possible. Fact is the 5970 runs cooler, uses less power and is faster than a gtx480.

If you stick two GTX's in your system then you will double the power and heat drawn, also you will pay extra £££ for the second card.

If you were choosing between a 5870 and a GTX480, then things would be more balanced, and maybe even tip in the GTX480 favour.

HMFC_Riley

Enthusiast
Always pick the single card solution where possible. Fact is the 5970 runs cooler, uses less power and is faster than a gtx480.

If you stick two GTX's in your system then you will double the power and heat drawn, also you will pay extra £££ for the second card.

If you were choosing between a 5870 and a GTX480, then things would be more balanced, and maybe even tip in the GTX480 favour.

True but the 5970 is a dual-GPU card anyway and from the scores/people I've spoken to noone is convinced FFXIV is using both of the GPU's. Plus in SLI the GTX 480 annihilates a 5970. And I'm more convinced that it'll support SLI at retail. I don't care how much power it uses (I don't pay the electricity bill ;) ) so heats my only real issue.

Affordability is another reason. 2 GTX 480's are very affordable for me. 2 5970's on the other hand push the price up by about £200. I guess I could afford to order it with 1 and see how it runs, find out from other people if crossfire has any benefit to it and order another one in October.

Can't make up my mind. You just know everything I've picked so far is gonna be different come ordering day :p

Matt

Bright Spark
True the 5970 is dual card but its running on one pcb, so less heat power etc. With a gtx480 passing 90c+ on a regular basis, you can only imagine the heat generated by having two of them within 1cm of each other. If you're planning to take the Gorman route and change the cooling solution to a waterblock then this is no problem.

As for the game you mentioned im not familiar with it, best to ask people that would know more about it and how it would run on a 5970. :)

http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=59

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, for 2 x GTX480's I would recommend a 1000W Corsair PSU, and you're right about the Rampage III Extreme - this is the board with the largest gap between the cards :)