defiance 15.6" dual or single fan?

mrducking

Bright Spark
as the title says, does it have dual or single fan? the photos dont show the underside and the rest of the photos only show 1 exhaust

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
More photos will be added tomorrow showing all angles. It has a dual fan.

mrducking

Bright Spark
agree in that it is a lovely chassis... BUT only accepts 7mm high HDD :S and even if you use SSD, having a 5400rpm HDD for storage instead of a 7200rpmHDD...
you know what i mean?
please tell me im wrong, because im falling in love with this, but the HDD thing is killing this option

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
agree in that it is a lovely chassis... BUT only accepts 7mm high HDD :S and even if you use SSD, having a 5400rpm HDD for storage instead of a 7200rpmHDD...
you know what i mean?
please tell me im wrong, because im falling in love with this, but the HDD thing is killing this option

Do you really need 7,200 rpm for accessing videos/data etc that is in storage and accessed infrequently? If you buy a decent sized SSD then only the occasional data needs to be stored there, and don't forget that the commonly accessed data will be cached for faster access.

SlimCini

KC and the Sunshine BANNED
Seeing as 'PCS' is replying... is there likely to be a 17" 4k chassis released at any point in the coming months?

mrducking

Bright Spark
Just get a 1tb SSD :p

lol, yeah sure, i would even consider it if not for the amount of times i write in the disk, i would be one of those guys that burn SSDs and call them unreliable :D
i prefer to have a little slower loading time for some things but be able to write and rewrite as many times as i need
i also dont want to go around with an external HDD
so, i i wanted 7200rpm because i write a lot but would love to have that extra speed, but if i cant i guess i can always get SSD for OS and hybrid for data

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Seeing as 'PCS' is replying... is there likely to be a 17" 4k chassis released at any point in the coming months?

At the moment there is not anything planned. We will launch a 17.3" Defiance in late December/early January but the panel options [at present] are only FHD 1920 x 1080.

L4WL13T

when i say dual fan i mean 2 fans, similar to the gt72
I don't know if you've seen the new photos up but at the back of the laptop it looks like it has only like one bit for the air to come out from which makes me think it maybe a different setup compared to the GT72, I'm currently torn between these two laptops lol.
If it wasn't for 4K LED IPS panel I wouldn't care at all

Just gonna wait for the reviews of it to come in once it is released... for me it's important that it stays nice a cool, has a good display and amazing sound system.

mrducking

Bright Spark
actually that big vent on the back if you look at the underside photos seems that the laptop has 3 fans, at least in the photo, so 2 fans is gonna have yes or yes
if it will be nice and cool i dont know, not that many people in the world have this model, but you should consider the fact that it can house the 980m so if you go with the 970m it should run perfectly fine, also the GT72 is expensive as hell and only because of the name
im myself im torn between the vortex with a 970m and the defiance with a 970m
you should consider that the GT72 is bigger (17" while defiance is 15.6") and that the defiance can only house 2 HDD of 7mm of height

Stressed

Silver Level Poster
It looks to me that it has 2 fans: one in the back and one on the side.

I don't know what to say about 4k display on 15,6". You won't be able to play new games with decent fps at this resolution, regardless of the GPU.

I really like this laptop but the fact that cpu and gpu are soldered on is a turn off. This means that you cannot upgrade much on it, just the RAM. So it may not be as future proof as a vortex would be.

Also, does it come with an external DvD RW?

About the sound: There is no subwoofer. I know these are not that effective on laptops but sure helps to have one. Try googling the Lenovo y50. That laptop is just as slim, 4k resolution display and it still has a subwoofer. Apparently the sound is great on that one!

mrducking

Bright Spark
It looks to me that it has 2 fans: one in the back and one on the side.

I don't know what to say about 4k display on 15,6". You won't be able to play new games with decent fps at this resolution, regardless of the GPU.

I really like this laptop but the fact that cpu and gpu are soldered on is a turn off. This means that you cannot upgrade much on it, just the RAM. So it may not be as future proof as a vortex would be.

Also, does it come with an external DvD RW?

About the sound: There is no subwoofer. I know these are not that effective on laptops but sure helps to have one. Try googling the Lenovo y50. That laptop is just as slim, 4k resolution display and it still has a subwoofer. Apparently the sound is great on that one!

damn, i didnt realize the cpu was also soldered, thats a big turndown, it's a good cpu but still
this laptop seems really good but it has a lot of cons for gamers that want to change or upgrade parts:
a)not much space to put anything
b)cpu&gpu soldered
this better run as cool as an air conditioning, because otherwise this laptop is a nope-nope

the big pro is portability and real good screen options, but i dont know if it's enough to overcome the cons

Stressed

Silver Level Poster
Also! I would really like to know the refresh rate for the screens. I know some 15.6" 4k are stuck on 48hz. Which is noticeable if you're a gamer.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
damn, i didnt realize the cpu was also soldered, thats a big turndown, it's a good cpu but still
this laptop seems really good but it has a lot of cons for gamers that want to change or upgrade parts
I though that upgrading the cpu or GPU would be expensive. I have the i7-4700mq and by the time I need an upgrade the CPU would have reached end of life and would be difficult to get one. Got the 780m and I am not sure my chassis supports the 980m but replacing it is likely to cost more than £300. The machine cost around £1200 and spending £600 upgrading the CPU and GPU wouldn't be sensible in my view.

mrducking

Bright Spark
I though that upgrading the cpu or GPU would be expensive. I have the i7-4700mq and by the time I need an upgrade the CPU would have reached end of life and would be difficult to get one. Got the 780m and I am not sure my chassis supports the 980m but replacing it is likely to cost more than £300. The machine cost around £1200 and spending £600 upgrading the CPU and GPU wouldn't be sensible in my view.

my opinion on this is more in the line of repairs, if something breaks in this system you have to change EVERYTHING, there is no middle ground with this laptop
in ideal situations nothing is gonna break, but ideal situations are that, ideal, i prefer to have the chance to fix