Defiance 17.3" SSD Installation

Haz311289

Silver Level Poster
Hi,
I currently have a Defiance 17.3" and am looking into installing a SSD, Couple of questions about them.
1. How easy are they to install
2. Are they basically plug and play
3. Are any brands better than the other (Samsung, Kingston etc)

Thank you

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Very

More or less (if you have no SSD currently, you'll likely want to do a clean install of Windows etc onto the SSD)

There's no brand that's unreliable afaik. However, the Samsung PM961 / SM961 / 960 Evo / 960 Pro are much faster than cheap kingstons, or even Intel and WD's NVMe SSD offerings.

Haz311289

Silver Level Poster
Thank you, i will take a look. My laptop has been running slower than normal recently and some of the games haven't been performing great. Hoping it's just down to needing an SSD

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
You can use things like MSI afterburner or HWinfo to record and/or display CPU and GPU frequencies, temps, etc. As well as HDD usage. Could point you in the right direction.

It could also be Windows or driver updates that may have happened automatically that have impacted performance. For games, things like Geforce Experience can sometimes "optimise" your game settings and reduce performance.

Haz311289

Silver Level Poster
You can use things like MSI afterburner or HWinfo to record and/or display CPU and GPU frequencies, temps, etc. As well as HDD usage. Could point you in the right direction.

It could also be Windows or driver updates that may have happened automatically that have impacted performance. For games, things like Geforce Experience can sometimes "optimise" your game settings and reduce performance.

Thank you i'll take all that on board, it's only the past few days and nothing is showing up on virus and malware scans