Defiance 17" spec check

Miller3142

Hi folks, looking for a new gaming laptop and wanted to check a few things before I buy. Currently at £1800 with some add-ons - I could spend more if needed but would rather avoid unnecessary costs. A few questions on the below and just checking there are no glaring errors in my setup. I've had a Clevo before and we pretty pleased with it so wanted to stick to it again.

Qs:
- Have I got the hard drive setup right? One small for OS and one large for games and files? Would you recommend the Samsungs or a different SSD?
- More RAM is probably overkill for a gaming laptop, right?
- I know the GPU will become the bottleneck in future but the 3080 puts the price up substantially and I'd rather avoid. The 3070 seems like it will hold up pretty well for a few years though, right?

Help much appreciated, thanks!

Chassis & Display
Defiance Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD 240Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor 10870H (2.2GHz, 5.0GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair 2666MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 3070 Max-Q - 8.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st M.2 SSD Drive
250GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 2300MB/W)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3300MB/W)
External DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
8x Slim USB 2.0 External DVD-RW
Memory Card Reader
Integrated Micro-SD Memory Card Reader
AC Adaptor
1 x 180W AC Adaptor
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre Cloverleaf UK Power Cable
Battery
Defiance Series Integrated 3 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (73WH)
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card
2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Wireless Network Card
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 (2.4 Gbps) + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
1 x THUNDERBOLT 3 PORT + 3 x USB 3.2 PORTS
Keyboard Language
17" DEFIANCE SERIES UK KEYBOARD
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Browser
Google Chrome™
Monitor Cables
1 x 2m DisplayPort Adapter Cable - Mini DP (m) to DP (m)
Keyboard & Mouse
PCS GM150 RGB Gaming Mouse
Headsets
CoolerMaster CH321 Gaming Headset
Mouse Pad
PCS Mouse Mat
Webcam
INTEGRATED 1MP HD WEBCAM
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Dead Pixel Guarantee
1 Year Dead Pixel Guarantee Inc. Labour & Carriage Costs
Chassis
Clevo PC70DR (8GB RTX-3070 Max-Q, i7-10870H, 240Hz N7, Blank KB)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 7 to 9 working days
Price: £1,851.00 including VAT and Delivery

Macco26

Expert
Regarding SSD, these types of storage have more Read/Write speed and IOPS the more memory channels they have. Incidentally, the smaller they are, the smaller the speed they can get.
So, despite for someone is crucial to have two separate SSDs to keep OS I/O divided by apps/games I/O, I suspect your minuscle 256 GB would suffer more than having 2 devices.
In case of SSD EVO Plus:
1613373100330.png

The max random read IOPS for 1 single app is 17000 for 256GB, 19000 for larger capacities. But the good thing with large capacity SSD is they have so many channels that let's say 32 data access (QD32) at the time would put 600000 IOPS total for the 1 TB, that is 600/32 = 18,75 per access. It means that there is so much parallelization that having 32 access together reduces it from 19 to 18.75 only, barely noticeable. Still it beats 1 single access from the 256GB, get it? It's like having 32 hard drives at the same time. On the other hand, when channels are few, like for your 256 GB, 17k IOPS for 1 data access become a small 250K for 32 concurrent operations, that is 250/32 = 7.8k IOPS each.
Summary: I'd put all my money on the fastest OS drive (e.g. also capacity wise, since it means a lot for SSD). Then a cheapo SSD for data, even unbranded, if you want, for storage. You can also buy it later, as the 32 concurrent accesses of the first one shows you you're pretty immune to any type of multitasking, but others may think otherwise.

Miller3142

That's really helpful, thanks all. I will probably bump the first drive up to 500GB and go for the 900GB Enmotus on the second, in that case. Think I'll also take it up to 32GB RAM as well, as most of my gaming is strategy.

Doesn't need to be retail license, you can turn any windows 10 key into a digital key and tie it to your microsoft account. ( apart from business volume licenses )

I only had a license for Windows 7 - I made the spectacularly poor decision not to take the free upgrade to Win10 when it was offered before the laptop was stolen ~3 years ago 😪

Thanks for the suggestions!

Macco26

Expert
Upgrade is still available. You open the trial version of your Windows 10, go in Settings\System\Activation, provide your windows 7 licence, BAM!, Windows 10 activated.
It works only for same-type of licence. e.g. a Windows 10 pro can't be activated with Win 7 home.

Of course it should work if you have an actual photo of the sticker.. since you say it was stolen..

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Upgrade is still available. You open the trial version of your Windows 10, go in Settings\System\Activation, provide your windows 7 licence, BAM!, Windows 10 activated.
It works only for same-type of licence. e.g. a Windows 10 pro can't be activated with Win 7 home.

Of course it should work if you have an actual photo of the sticker.. since you say it was stolen..
A problem with this will occur if the stolen laptop is still being used with the original Windows 7 license. If it were me, for peace of mind I'd bite the bullet and buy a copy of Windows 10 from PCS.