Defiance 2 restarting, led blinking and beeps

Hello guys,

since this morning my Defiance 2 with Nvidia 970m started acting strangely:
every time I use the discrete GPU (even connecting a second monitor) the laptop shuts down after around 5 minutes. If I restart it, the caps lock and num lock leds start blinking and it beeps for 8 times. If I keep the dGPU off, the laptop works normally.

My laptop has windows and linux in dual boot, so I checked that the problem happens on both. This may mean that it's a hardware problem, right?

what could it be? I fear that the GPU is gone

thanks

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
It does sound like a dGPU issue. Do you know what temperature it runs at? It might just need repasting.

via Tapatalk

It does sound like a dGPU issue. Do you know what temperature it runs at? It might just need repasting.

via Tapatalk
I tried to monitor the dGPU temperature via HwMonitor and it says 45°C in idle with a second monitor connected. Yesterday I was playing Dark Souls 3 and the dGPU barely reached 75°C and it didn't noticed any problem.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I tried to monitor the dGPU temperature via HwMonitor and it says 45°C in idle with a second monitor connected. Yesterday I was playing Dark Souls 3 and the dGPU barely reached 75°C and it didn't noticed any problem.
Those temps are fine.

Might be worth fully uninstalling gpu drivers with ddu and then reinstall the latest.

Sometimes driver updates can leave residual incompatibilities with previous versions.

BUT as it’s happening in Linux as well, it does sound like a faulty gpu unfortunately.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Sorry for the delay in replying. Since it misbehaves under both Windows and Linux I think its almost certainly hardware.

Is there anything in the Windows event log? I don't know whether Linux has a similar log but it's worth looking if it does.

via Tapatalk

ok, it might sound strange but...

I disassembled the computer and I noticed that there was a small piece of plastic (probably a piece of one of the fan blades) that was stuck in one of the fans, preventing it from rotating. The laptop shut down exactly when the fan should have started spinning (at around 51°C). Maybe it's some protection system, however after removing the piece of plastic, everything works as expected

Thank you for your help!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine

I disassembled the computer and I noticed that there was a small piece of plastic (probably a piece of one of the fan blades) that was stuck in one of the fans, preventing it from rotating. The laptop shut down exactly when the fan should have started spinning (at around 51°C). Maybe it's some protection system, however after removing the piece of plastic, everything works as expected

Thank you for your help!
Well done, that’s a good spot. I’d contact PCS and see if they can supply a spare fan to fit.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor

Thank you for your help!
Excellent troubleshooting and well spotted! :)

I'm with Oussebon, if that is a broken fan blade get the fan replaced ASAP. It will be unbalanced with a missing blade and the bearings will fail early.