Defiance hdmi to monitor, image looks washed out in Nvidia powered programs.

Takingthemike

Hello fellow geeks.

I bought a Defiance 15" a few months back and it has been great, I decided to get a second monitor to help me with photo and video editing.
The monitor I chose was a HP 22xw which seems decent.

I am using the hdmi port to connect the monitor to the laptop.

Everything works fine expect the image on my monitor looks washed out compared to the image on my screen. Following instructions from google I changed my Intel gpu setting to YCbCr for the monitor output and that works for most of the time....

But here is where things get complicated... when using a program that uses the Nvidia card (Lightroom etc) any windows I have open on the second monitor looks washed out again. Initially I tried to go into the Nvidia setting to change the output to YCbCr like I did with the Intel settings however I can't as most of the settings don't show up, I only get some 3D controls. The reason is the Intel card is the primary card with it being an optimus machine and that disables most of the Nvidia controls. I have tried disabling the Intel card but that only messes up the screen and put the laptop in some low resolution recovery mode. So I think what I need to do is change the monitor output in the Nivida setting to YcbCr, but how can I access these controls on a laptop with optimus?

The problem is not with the monitor because if I drag Lightroom across from the main screen to the second monitor it looks exactly the same with good saturated colour UNTIL I let go of the mouse button and drop Lightroom onto the second monitor, then it becomes washed out. Strange huh? I guess by hovering the window over I am cheating the system temporarily.

Any advice would be appreciated but please don't ask me to reinstall my drivers without good reason, I really don't think it is a driver issue. All drivers are up to date.

steaky360

To be honest I've no clue - I cant really see much of a difference in the video you posted but I'm not an expert of any kind. I've approved your previous post with the video so hopefully more intelligent folk than me can see it now though - hope you get it sorted soon!

PeterW

Bronze Level Poster
Have you made sure that your 2nd Monitor is switched to SRGB ?
You may find that might solve your problem .