Defiance II temps

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
So...my turn to ask a bit of advice.

My laptop prior to my Defiance II was a Macbook Pro. I was used to it running hot, as they were quite notorious for it for that particular generation.

However, I feel my Defiance II might be running too hot right now.

As a quick test, I've just run up Doom (2016), windowed at 2048 x 1152 for about an hour and these are my system temps according to Speccy.

The fans are running full blast and the case feels hot to the touch on the left/bottom left around the vents.

2016-10-06 10_07_39-Piriform Speccy.png

When I bought it, I had the "enhanced" thermal paste added. Just me, or anyone else think these are high?

It's on a desk, by the way, with no clutter round it right now.

Cyph3r

So...my turn to ask a bit of advice.

My laptop prior to my Defiance II was a Macbook Pro. I was used to it running hot, as they were quite notorious for it for that particular generation.

However, I feel my Defiance II might be running too hot right now.

As a quick test, I've just run up Doom (2016), windowed at 2048 x 1152 for about an hour and these are my system temps according to Speccy.

The fans are running full blast and the case feels hot to the touch on the left/bottom left around the vents.

View attachment 8901

When I bought it, I had the "enhanced" thermal paste added. Just me, or anyone else think these are high?

It's on a desk, by the way, with no clutter round it right now.

Those temps are completely fine. My current laptop has a very similar spec and I get pretty much the exact same temperatures. In fact my overclocked 970m hits a few degrees higher.

The maximum temperature allowed on the CPU is 100c (although really you wouldn't want to regularly hit over 85c) and the 970m/980m has their GPU boost tuned to 83c I think it is before it starts lowering the boost clock. The max allowed temp is 98c though. Again you wouldn't want to actually go anywhere near that, and due to Nvidias dynamic tdp/boost clock you shouldn't ever go over 80c

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I'm sure you've seen this: http://ark.intel.com/products/78930/Intel-Core-i7-4710HQ-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_50-GHz? Tjunction according to that is 100 deg C so I would not have thought that CPU temp was too high. I understand (though the only link I can find at the moment is this one https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2752/~/nvidia-gpu-maximum-operating-temperature-and-overheating) that the max temp for a GTX980 is 90 deg C, so that seems ok to me too. You'd expect the fans to be at full output of course since those temps are high, but they don't seem excessively high to me.

:)

rav007

Enthusiast
Temps are fine, high 80s and higher are more of a concern. Just make sure you don't choke the intake vents and all will be fine.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Like this you mean? And that's on it's way down.

Yeah I know silicon doesn't begin to degrade until around 105 Celsius from memory (electronics engineer long ago) but these just seem high for the workload.

2016-10-06 15_01_16-Piriform Speccy.png

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
The GPU temp looks fine in both to me. The CPU temp in the first screenshot also seems reasonable - maybe a touch warm, but perfectly reasonable. What took the CPU temp to over 90 degrees in the second screenshot? Just more DOOM?

Cyph3r

Temps in the first screenshot are fine.

I definitely wouldn't be comfortable with 92c on the CPU though. As I said, 85c would be my limit.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Finally got around to doing a repaste as it was running too hot almost constantly for the work load, causing the fans to run almost constantly even on day-to-day use with temps up in the 70's.

Happy to say so far that the fans have rarely kicked in since.

One generalised rant about the Clevo chassis though - experience repairing the likes of Compaq and Toshiba laptops in the 90's always made me careful to lie screws down in the shape of how they came out of the chassis. It turned out to be a good idea when I originally took delivery to fit the extra disks and again at the weekend when I did the repaste...why oh why do Clevo use different length screws?? That's so old hat these days.

I honestly can't remember the last time I took a laptop apart (mostly Dell or HP to be fair) that did this in the external case...perhaps ONE smaller screw over a memory and/or disk slot but that'd be all.

Grumble.