Defiance v Proteus

2pies

I'm looking at both of these as they can provide the spec (i7 CPU, 1060 GPU, 32GB RAM, 500GB M2) I want and are almost identical in price. Can anyone advise of the benefits of one over another?

The Defiance has more scope for expansion and perhaps slightly better soundcard? Not sure whether they have the same screen, speakers and keyboard. The Proteus looks a little better, case wise.

Any other considerations?

Defiance link
Proteus link

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The Proteus is a budget level gaming chassis with a lesser screen, lesser build quality etc.
Defiance is much more premium, much better screen options, better cooling, better storage options.

What's your intended usage?

2pies

Some light gaming (probably don't need 1060, but figured it was more future proof than the 1050 TI) and running lots of virtual machines for a self-study home lab

Thanks

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Some light gaming (probably don't need 1060, but figured it was more future proof than the 1050 TI) and running lots of virtual machines for a self-study home lab

Thanks

The gtx1060 is very capable at 1080p and 32gb will be good for the vm's.

How many instances are we talking? Bear in mind you'll be limited to 8 threads on the cpu.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
The Defiance has Gsync, more slots for RAM, and more storage bays. The Defiance used to be a bit more expensive but if the price is very similar now I'd say the Defiance wins hands down.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The Defiance has Gsync, more slots for RAM, and more storage bays. The Defiance used to be a bit more expensive but if the price is very similar now I'd say the Defiance wins hands down.

Do you know what refresh the defiance 1080p screen is? I'm guessing 75hz? Whereas the proteus will be 60hz sans gsync so quite a big difference.

2pies

The gtx1060 is very capable at 1080p and 32gb will be good for the vm's.

How many instances are we talking? Bear in mind you'll be limited to 8 threads on the cpu.

5-10 I expect, but can limit it to 4 at a time with others powered down. 8 vCPU should be ok for that.

2pies

Sounds good all, the Defiance seems the better bet for the screen then. Any thoughts on speakers, or are they both pretty poor? Might watch Netflix from time to time and don't always want to wear headphones.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
The Proteus has:

Speakers2 x 2W Stereo Speakers

While the Defiance has:

Speakers2 x Onkyo High Quality Speakers

Not sure what the difference is in real terms, but that and the Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ MB5 software suggests the Defiance is at least trying to be more upmarket in the sound department.

2pies

The Proteus has:

Speakers2 x 2W Stereo Speakers

While the Defiance has:

Speakers2 x Onkyo High Quality Speakers

Not sure what the difference is in real terms, but that and the Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ MB5 software suggests the Defiance is at least trying to be more upmarket in the sound department.

Many thanks, thats pretty much made my mind up. Will go with the Defiance :)