DEFIANCE-VII Laptop Running Linux Fedora 33

AndrewAspey745

Ordered the laptop, no problems, came early compared to the original quoted date and was packaged really well :)

I ordered without OS so I could install Linux Fedora 33 but was expecting to have way more problems than I actually had with the Linux setup, especially considering the disk setup I wanted.

So I have managed to install Fedora 33 (Latest Gnome 3.38 customized Shell theme, Shell Extensions and Icons).

I have 2 X 500GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3200MB/W) SSD's setup with Latest Btrfs File System, Linux Software RAID 0 and LUKS 2 Drive Encryption.

All hardware so far seems to be working fine under Linux including the RTX 2060 Nvidia GPU which I did remove the default nvidia nouveau driver that comes preinstalled with Fedora 33 and replaced with the Propietry NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-460.32.03 Driver which seems to give less fan noise. Further testing on that to come.

WIFI / NIC -> WORKING
Bluetooth -> WORKING
Thunderbolt 3 -> WORKING (Not tried Monitors)
Sound Card -> WORKING ALTHOUGH SOUND NOT GREAT NOT SURE THX etc working fully (Would need to compare with same laptop on Windows)
Headphone Out - WORKING
Microphone -> WORKING
Webcam -> WORKING
HDMI External Monitor -> WORKING (Not tried yet multiple screens via Thunderbolt but will report back on that).

So far the only thing I haven't been able to get working properly under Fedora 33 is the RGB Keyboard functionality. The BIOS seems to disable the RGB lights on the keyboard on a regular basis and I have to go back into the BIOS to enable again. This gives me Solid Red on Boot due to selected option in Bios which then turns to Rainbow on entering the Desktop Login Screen. I can then use the function F6 & F7 to change the brightness of the RGB Keyboard up or down. I can't however change colors schemes at the moment. I did find some instructions online in regards to this but it involves installing a Kernel Module etc etc which apparently then allows you to change Colours on the Keyboard using Function /. If I can get this working to any degree I shall report back with a walk through for other users. I was also looking into running the Windows Game Center App via Wine in Linux but no joy yet although I did get it to install.

Installed and working software:

Google Chrome
Firefox
Complete Jetbrains Suite (Web Storm, PHP Storm etc)
Atom
Netbeans 12
Slack
Microsoft Teams (Actually Works lol)
Complete Open Office Suite
Gimp
Terminator
Filezilla
Virtual Machine
Boxes
Browser Stack Local via Google Chrome Extension and local App

Will be installing my Development Stack next so will report back on that ;)

Attachments

• 20210126_115257.jpg
    20210126_115257.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 148
  • 20210126_115330.jpg
    20210126_115330.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 159
  • 20210126_115549.jpg
    20210126_115549.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 166

Stephen M

Author Level
How is the Fedora installation these days, not used it for over a year. What used to put me off was having to manually partition in any dual-boot where Fedora was not the first OS installed.

Using an OS in a VM is fine but if I am looking to do a decent appraisal of an OS it is good to instal it properly.

Was interested to see nvidia drivers working well, my recent experience with Manjaro and Ubuntu is the X.org driver is better.