Defiance VII - Windows animation/choppy lag when show only on main desktop

j_ly08

I have a Defiance VII Geforce RTX 2070 Max-Q design working smoothly. I have connected a mini displayport to displayport from my laptop to my main Asus 144hz monitor.

I have a having a strange behaviour in that I get animation lag (such as dragging the Windows explorer and when watching YouTube videos). When I extend or duplicate these displays, it works very smooth. What is going on here? This is usually the opposite of the issues people experience.

I have tried the following:
- Set my preferred graphics processor as my Nvidia GPU (and integrated graphics), no difference.
- Disabled all windows animation and I still get choppy behaviour.
- Changed to a lower resolution and lower refresh rate, no difference.

Edit: Solved, please see below.

Last edited:

j_ly08

Immediately after posting this, I found the answer!

It was due to power options "fast start-up", disable this under Power Options > Choose what closing the lid does. Then give it a final reboot.

I have left this thread in case other people have this issues. Mod feel free to close/delete as you wish.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Thanks for leaving this up, and for posting the solution. Fast Startup is known to cause several issues on some motherboards, this issue is a new one on me though. Thanks for posting! :)

comait

Immediately after posting this, I found the answer!

It was due to power options "fast start-up", disable this under Power Options > Choose what closing the lid does. Then give it a final reboot.

I have left this thread in case other people have this issues. Mod feel free to close/delete as you wish.
Thanks for you post. As soon as my notebook arrived I have noticed the lag in YouTube plays... After some drivers updates and general tweakings (not targeted to that problem) it went out.
As far I remember the fast boot caches some configs and drivers and( as is as I think the machine arrives with the initial non windows updated drivers) maybe now that everything is OK( probably after the first windows update) if you re- enable the fastboot the "lagginess" will not reappears.

Inviato dal mio CLT-L29 utilizzando Tapatalk

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Thanks for you post. As soon as my notebook arrived I have noticed the lag in YouTube plays... After some drivers updates and general tweakings (not targeted to that problem) it went out.
As far I remember the fast boot caches some configs and drivers and( as is as I think the machine arrives with the initial non windows updated drivers) maybe now that everything is OK( probably after the first windows update) if you re- enable the fastboot the "lagginess" will not reappears.

Inviato dal mio CLT-L29 utilizzando Tapatalk
What Fast Startup does is hibernate the Windows kernel even when you do a normal shutdown. Resuming the kernel is faster than doing a full load from disk.

The problem is that not only do some motherboards not play well with a resumed kernel but some drivers don't handle it well either.

With a decent SSD as your system drive fast Startup buys you very little, if anything.