Deleted

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
"but I don't use it currently as the LCD screen periodically glitches and stops displaying things (in the case above, the coolant temperature)" - You should raise this with PCS. The AIO is not cheap, you should expect it to work fully.

For the RGB when PC is off, try these:

In the UEFI BIOS, there's 4 settings for Aura. If you press [F4] on the home page you'll see something like:
  1. All on = All lights on the motherboard are on, i.e. RGB and the status/power lights.
  2. Stealth mode = All lights are off, all of the time.
  3. Aura only = only RGB lights are on, power/status lights are off.
  4. Aura off = RGB lights are off, power/status lights are on.
There's also a second set of settings, which control WHEN these Aura options trigger, under [Onboard Device Configuration] [RGB Lighting]:
  • When system is in working state
This item allows you to turn the RGB LED lighting on or off when the system is in the working state.
Configuration options: [All On] [Stealth] [Aura Only] [Aura Off]

• When system is in sleep, hibernate or soft off states
This item allows you to turn the RGB LED lighting on or off when the system is in the sleep, hibernate or soft off states.
Configuration options: [All On] [Stealth] [Aura Only] [Aura Off]

And as for HDD installation, yep, there's probably a few covers etc to take off and on, but generally HDD installation is a once off or very infrequent task, so the faff is reasonable because of that.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
The BIOS is borked for me. I can't get the RGB RAM to switch off no matter what setting I go with. I've contacted the ASUS support team, who so far are worse than useless..... I'll stick with it though :D

That system is absolutely stunning! It'll be a complete powerhouse!

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
You can also change the skin of afterburner to something easier on the eye. Some of the skins take me back to Winamp days....
Showing your age there, matey 😉

EDIT - And so am I as I remember it too. Live fast and die young? Not for me. Live fast in your twenties, whilst your body can handle it. Slow it down in your thirties and then settle down for the forties, which I am hoping to call my ‘stilton decade’. I’ll mature and become even smellier with the passage of time.

Last edited:

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Just wait until you get to the “Partially-melted Werther’s stuck to the Axminster carpet” decade 😳
I don't know..........you youngsters :ROFLMAO:
Christ, that escalated quickly. Can we get an order in for some soup and half a sandwich? These lads just upped the ante.

(We may need some scampi and tartare sauce as a calming agent, keep it on standby)

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Christ, that escalated quickly. Can we get an order in for some soup and half a sandwich? These lads just upped the ante.

(We may need some scampi and tartare sauce as a calming agent, keep it on standby)

Up in Scotland we have a half and a half for lunch when getting to a certain age ;)

More colloquially a hauf an a hauf.

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I'd recommend using HWMonitor to monitor the temps as opposed to Afterburner. I know Afterburner is fantastic I use it as well but HWMonitor has always seemed more accurate at these sort of readings to me and it's also very clear what it's actually reading

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
What version of Icue are you running, i'm on 5.1 and after getting my head around a few things have got all the lighting (including Mobo & GPU) running nicely

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I also had to get v5 (5.1) direct from Corsair too, as my v4 install wasn't offering me anything above what I already have.

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Didn't release iCUE had moved to v5. Interesting to read the release notes, they've finally responded to it being a 4GB install and now it's modular, so it only installs components you need. E.g. if you only have a Corsair keyboard, it will just install the components for that keyboard. That's a step in right direction. It's only been out for 2 weeks or so though, so might be worth treating it like a beta for a while

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Dusting update: So, I needed to open the case the other day and figured I would give it a good clean....it has been 3 weeks and the PC sits next to the living room door so dust is an issue (my old PC needed a clear out more often than most). Imagine my surprise to find that there was almost no dust inside (just a sprinkling), no dust on any of the fans and the only place that had any noticeable dust was the front dust filter! This case will make my life so much easier!

Cable Management: As I previously mentioned, I love the cable management and it is excellent! However, I am now cursing that cable management as I was looking to replace the rear exhaust (PCS supplied one) with a Corsair ML or some such...I am not even sure I can trace the cable for the fan much less remove it without undoing all the cable management. Although it's behind the motherboard, I would still know all the lack of beautiful management going on...as my abilities are akin to that of a toddler. So, I'm going to leave well enough alone
The corsair cases cost a bit, but there is due cause for that, they are incredibly well designed and that includes dust filtration.

If you look hyper close at the joinery, it's microscopically accurate, they've obviously CNC'd all the parts, that's where the money goes, CNC costs a lot, especially at the design level when factoring in such exact tollerances, it takes a lot of time, and then computer aided simulations of airflow (and dust) before putting it into production. But you reap the benefits in useage.

I was priviledged to have designed a micro PC in stainless steel chassis that was used in food production, the actual implementation was dull as dishwater (factories, boring), but the design stage was absolutely fascinating.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
BIOS Update:

So, got permission again from PCS to update the BIOS to the latest (version 1415 from 16/5)...duly updated it without issue and, I really wish I hadn't. At first boot after update, I went in and enabled EXPO again...voltage static at 1.24v so all good. Ran Firestrike and that was the first indication of a problem as the result was not validated (was a red warning this time instead of the usual orange).

Restarted (via BIOS to sort out the MOBO RGB) and CPU-Z threw a fit when I tried to run it; 3DMark just stuck on scanning the system, RGB on the RAM becoming stuck on static colours (iCUE reporting no contact)..this occurred through multiple restarts, RGB on the RAM even completely switched off at one point for no reason.

Have now gone back into the BIOS and disabled EXPO again, which seems to have resolved the RGB issues....iCUE is still sluggish on boot (normally, as soon as Windows is logged in, the RGB switches from the default to the one I have set iCUE to...now it is taking 10 seconds before it happens...not a major issue but enough to concern me)

So, it seems every time I try to run 3DMark, when it is in the system scanning stage, it is causing the RGB in the RAM sticks to stop responding for some reason. I'll try resinatlling 3DM at some point and see what that does.

Suffice to say, I really wish I hadn't updated the BIOS and had just stuck with my plan of waiting 6 months before doing it...all that BIOS update has done is aggravate me and make my system worse than it was before.

About the only upside out of all that was the unvalidated Firestrike run was 53,000ish (vs 50000ish before) so it is a rough 8% improvement just with RAM running 6000MHz vs 4800MHz.
You can downgrade a BIOS these days, same process

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Just to confirm.... did you typo with 1415? It should be 1416 for the STRIX?

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
It's 1415:

Ahhh yours is the A, I was looking at the E :)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So, I was looking for something else and I came across a picture I took of my setup back in August 2020 or so (Apologies to @AgentCooper for the cabling :oops: ):

View attachment 37224

Seems like a lifetime ago. There is very little that has remained from that picture:

PC tower has obviously been upgraded;
Stereo has been replaced by minimal speakers;
Printer has been upgraded to an inktank one and relocated to another room (Wi-Fi is useful sometimes!)
TV has been upgraded from the 720p Samsung to a 4k LG;
Console and controller have both been upgraded to Series X versions (and added an Elite controller and a second headset);
Even the mouse has changed.

View attachment 37225
I like that the Terminator skull has remained, we all could take a leaf out of that book

I'm searching on the web now!