Deleting Facebook account will delete all Oculus content

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
This is quite rediculous, but it's been found that deleting your Facebook account will wipe out your Oculus library:

I'm sure there will be a reversal of this, I don't see how it's legal to tie hardware and games to social media accounts in this way. If nothing is done about it, then quite frankly, it's just completely unacceptable.

Gavras

Master Poster
This is quite rediculous, but it's been found that deleting your Facebook account will wipe out your Oculus library:

I'm sure there will be a reversal of this, I don't see how it's legal to tie hardware and games to social media accounts in this way. If nothing is done about it, then quite frankly, it's just completely unacceptable.
Is that a bit like buying an android mobile, buying games from games store, then deleting your google account?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Is that a bit like buying an android mobile, buying games from games store, then deleting your google account?
I guess so, it's the same thing.

It just seems more rediculous coming from facebook who are purely social media.

At least Google are a full services company providing a host of services rather than just facebook and facebook messenger.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
And then there are horror stories like this:

Last edited:

steaky360

I guess so, it's the same thing.

It just seems more rediculous coming from facebook who are purely social media.

At least Google are a full services company providing a host of services rather than just facebook and facebook messenger.
That's interesting didn't realise this was the case and I also bawked at the suggestion - but remember google started as a search engine and have only in recent years become a full service company. Who's to say Facebook don't wish to do the same thing?

Its like deleting your steam account and losing access to your games (no idea if this happens but suspect it will)?

Its probably more annoying for anyone who bought into Occulus before it was purchased by Facebook!

Either way, here's hoping for a retraction and a more reasonable resolution to the issue of wanting to remove all your FB data.

Gavras

Master Poster
That's interesting didn't realise this was the case and I also bawked at the suggestion - but remember google started as a search engine and have only in recent years become a full service company. Who's to say Facebook don't wish to do the same thing?

Its like deleting your steam account and losing access to your games (no idea if this happens but suspect it will)?

Its probably more annoying for anyone who bought into Occulus before it was purchased by Facebook!

Either way, here's hoping for a retraction and a more reasonable resolution to the issue of wanting to remove all your FB data.
On the Steam side of things, it’s not just if you close your account.

There was a big Steam os update last year that coincided with a Windows update.

The result was my Steam account (Steam Launcher) would not load.

Neither Steam or MS where of help.

In fact Steam support was shocking.

While I sorted it, it brought in to light just how tenuous our accounts with the likes of Steam are.

I have been on Steam since 2004.

While online services are great, you don’t really own anything.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
You don't need to close your Facebook account. Just delete all the content and shut down all the settings so nobody can see or find you - and stop posting on there of course. :)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
You don't need to close your Facebook account. Just delete all the content and shut down all the settings so nobody can see or find you - and stop posting on there of course. :)
That’s the point though, doesn’t stop the data collection. Facebook tracks almost all of your internet usage and a lot of your offline usage also just because you’ve signed up even if you’re not signed in to the website, their terms and conditions are crazy if you read them through. If you install the mobile app, you give them rights to record anything they want through the mic and camera at any time, weather or not the app is open.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
That’s the point though, doesn’t stop the data collection. Facebook tracks almost all of your internet usage and a lot of your offline usage also just because you’ve signed up even if you’re not signed in to the website, their terms and conditions are crazy if you read them through. If you install the mobile app, you give them rights to record anything they want through the mic and camera at any time, weather or not the app is open.
I realise that, but deleting your account doesn't delete what they already know about you. It may not even stop future data collection for all we know....

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I realise that, but deleting your account doesn't delete what they already know about you. It may not even stop future data collection for all we know....
That’s very true.

I’ve never minded data collection from other companies before, it was only the Cambridge analytica scandal that made me realise where that data can be used and the influence it can cause at such a huge scale. That was really when I started looking to actively protect my data.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
That’s very true.

I’ve never minded data collection from other companies before, it was only the Cambridge analytica scandal that made me realise where that data can be used and the influence it can cause at such a huge scale. That was really when I started looking to actively protect my data.
TBH I don't care that they know lots about me that even I probably don't realise. So what? These days (in the UK at least, not so much here) everywhere you go in any big city can be tracked on CCTV.

There is no real privacy any more - not that there really ever was. Even as a youngster in the early 1960's sending off for electronic components for the projects I was hobbying on (I hesitate to say working on) would result in me getting unasked for catalogues for related items (like cases, enclosures etc.). Even back then companies were sharing my address and my interests with other companies.

Rakk

The Awesome
Like me you mean :)
I've now had a Rift for years - though at the moment I can still use just my Oculus account rather than Facebook to log in (though that will stop in a few years where I will be forced to use Facebook to log in - yuck) - so currently it knows nothing about my seldom used Facebook account

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Like me you mean :)
I've now had a Rift for years - though at the moment I can still use just my Oculus account rather than Facebook to log in (though that will stop in a few years where I will be forced to use Facebook to log in - yuck)
Oh, you’ve got one?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yeah, got my Rift mid-2017 (so its the older one - ie with the USB sensors and most definitely not wireless), and yeah at the moment the Oculus account is not forcing me to use Facebook
Perhaps it's more on the Rift 2 currently where it's more important to connect to a facebook account. As you say, maybe on the legacy headsets it will take a bit more time for that to roll out.

Rakk

The Awesome
Perhaps it's more on the Rift 2 currently where it's more important to connect to a facebook account. As you say, maybe on the legacy headsets it will take a bit more time for that to roll out.
When I started up my Rift a couple of weeks ago and it opened the Oculus software it did give me the choice of which to use and after choosing my Oculus account it told me that it would be changing and in 2023 (I think, maybe it was earlier) I would be forced to use Facebook or just not be able to use it. Whilst currently not using Facebook I cant access Social stuff which for me doesn't make a blind bit of difference, I never did anyways.

But yes it could be because I've got the older Rift/account that I have that choice

RicDin

Unfortunately either the EU steps up their regulations game or we'll end up with data mining straight out of our peripherals as a norm. I understand that the average consumer does not care about this but I think it is important to at least secure the option of having a choice. If you simply trust these companies to act in good faith it is a matter of time until something goes wrong.

Having a constant direct feed to your surroundings, conversations, preferences, tastes, and, eventually, down to the dimensions, furniture pieces, brands, medication, bladder patterns, etc. for customized advertisement and customer engagement is one thing but refine this tech a bit further and you have the gamification of the human mind. How to game you as individual to bring out the adictiveness patterns that perhaps even you were unaware of. How to rewire your behaviour to make sure you take specific actions and how to narrow down your thought patterns to what is relevant to someone else's bottom line.

This is without even considering the other potential ramifications of an unregulated industry. Suppression of dissent, oppressive employee monitoring, substance abuse and feeding habits profiling for insurance purposes and many many others.

I am aware this will not happen overnight but the time to take control is "yesterday" because "tomorrow" we will be enacting reactive regulations.