Dell PC not turning on

otuama

Hi.

To save me writing what has already been put on the Dell forum, can I instead direct you to here: Link Removed

Maybe someone else has any ideas of what I can do. If I need to spend ££ on a new motherboard, that's fine but I'd not waste time and money on something that doesn't fix the issue.

Thanks,

Sean

Last edited by a moderator:

steaky360

Hi Sean,

As you're not allowed to display competitor links on this forum (its owned/operated by PCS who are in the business of supplying PC's) I've had to remove the link. If you want some advice you could detail the information here again but I'm not sure if we'd be more help than the folk on the Dell forums who will most likely be more familiar with your particular system.

otuama

Hi. I understand.

Ok, just in case anyone does have extra input and wants some light reading:

-----------
ME

Hi.

I have a Precision T5400. I've used it today and it's been fine. Now, whenever I turn it on it doesn't boot and nothing is shown on the monitor.

I get the following error codes. The numbers on the front panel do their normal changing around but then the system beeps twice and 1,2&3 are lit on the panel.

Does anyone know what might be wrong? I've read another article which said to try taking the RAM and gfx card out but that didn't help. I've also done pressed the power button on the system to discharge the capacitors. Normall, with a PC, if you press and hold a power button to force turn it off, it takes a few seconds. When I do it when the 1,2&3 are lit it turns off straight away.

Any help with this would be great.

Thanks

-----------------------

DELL

Hi otuama,

Thanks for the post! Sounds like a hardware component may have failed in your system interrupting POST. The LED code 1-2-3 is normal in the startup process and indicates the system has progressed to the initialization of the video hardware. If a failure occurs after this point it ‘should’ provide an error message on screen.

If no message is on screen I would suggest making note of the beeps as they occur and use the service manual, linked below, to troubleshoot further. Beep Codes can be found on page 129.

If problem persist. I would suggest removing all external and internal peripherals, stripping the system to its minimum for post:

System Board
One processor with heat sink
One stick of memory in DIMM1
Power supply (with applicable harnesses)
All system fans
Control panel and cable (power button - only required if the last power state was Off)
In doing this you should be able to pin a possible failure down to as few components as possible.

Precision T5400 - Service manual

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-prod...tation/precision-t5400_user's guide_en-us.pdf

--------------------

ME

Hi.

Last night I did the following:

Took out gfx & sound card

Took out all RAM sticks except for 1 (in DIMM1)

Disconnected DVD drive and memory card reader

Disconnected both HDD's

I'm not very tech savvy so didn't want to blow up the house by taking anything else out.

I still got the problem. I swapped the RAM stick in DIMM1 but still nothing.

Can I maybe take a photo of the inside of the system so someone can tell me what else I can take out.

-------------------

DELL

Hi otuama,

Sounds like you got all of the parts removed that can be. One last thing I would suggest, is to make sure all external devices are unplugged for a test also. If with everything removed the issue persists I’m afraid the cause of the problem is likely an issue with your systems motherboard. Depending on your region, a few ‘Out of Warranty’ support options are available, see the links below for details.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
If the same is happening with all components out then it's 2 possibilities, motherboard or psu. I don't know about the error codes, but would imagine dell service have identified it as pointing to the motherboard.