Desert Island Games

Torgan

Gold Level Poster
Just a bit of a daft question to get people thinking....

I'm going away to work shortly for 5 months and I will have absolutely no Broadband access whatsoever (unless the locals have some kind of pay as you go dongle I can get my hands on, but that's not the point of this thread)

My question is:

If you had space for 10 games on your hard drives, which would you install to see you through 5 months in the wilderness?

My list would be

Skyrim
Far Cry 3
Mass Effect 3
Dishonoured
Kingdom of Amalur Reckoning
Borderlands 2
Freelancer Crossfire
Ghost Recon Future Soldier
Crysis 2
Witcher 2

Last edited:

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
So no games that require internet? *immediately takes off anything made by Ubisoft them...*

Not sure I can think of 10, but will give it a go:

In no particular order. (and a reason why)

Giants: Citizen Kabuto - If you don't know, you should! :)

Psychonauts - For the crazeh!

Tetris - Its Tetris...

Torchlight II - Endless hours of funness

Fallout 3 - See above

Skyrim - This is more for when stranded for 3 years :D

Peggle - Peeeggggggggoooooool!

Bout all I can think of without cheating and Googling stuff (obviously I Googled the Wiki links)

And now for some I WOULDN'T take:

Dead_Island - Stuff'll mess you up!

[Mandatory] Call of Duty: Anything after MW - I'm already stuck on a desert island...don't want to damage myself further :)

Jack Guinea

Bright Spark
Mine would have to be
Company Of Heroes
Skyrim
Empire Total War
F1 2012
GTA 4
Hitman Absoloution
Test Drive Unlimited 2
Saints Row The Third
Fifa 13
Assassins Creed 3

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Hmm as its games that will last me a long time, thats very difficult

My first would definitely be saints row 3, that is an awesome game, I think I racked up well over 50hrs playing time, and that was without playing the campaign a second time

Minecraft - can have hours and hours of fun on this

NFS Most Wanted - probably my favourite game at the moment

The Sims 3 - although I don't play it much, its still a very good game, and time seems to pass ridiculously quick when playing this, although gets boring after a while

COD WaW/BO - Counting these two because of zombies, which is a great time waster, black ops 2 is also fun, infact i prefer the maps to black ops 1

Burnout Paradise - love this game

Mafia 1 and Mafia 2 - both can be picked up dead cheap and are awesome games, with very long campaigns that keep you hooked

Just Cause 2 - you can spend hours playing this just messing around, barely even played the campaign cos I just steal a chopper and muck about

L4D2 - plenty of zombie action that you wont mind playing over and over again cos its just so much fun, although ive never really played it single player, only online

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
Skyrim - self explanatory
F1 2012 - heck one race weekend takes me 6 months after all my practice sessions
Age of Empires 2: Conquerors - Could spend hours building endless layers of walls and castles or turning Ireland on the Britain map into complete farmlands.
Fifa 13 - Standard.
Football Manager 2013 - Again, could waste ridiculous amounts of time on this.
Portal 2 - Just to keep the brain ticking
Battlefield 3 - Well I still haven't found time to do single player thanks to always going on multiplayer so it'd be nice to finally do it...
Lotr: BFME2 - Age of Empires but even better at times.
Mass Effect 3 - Still haven't played it so would be nice to get it done.
The Walking Dead - Still haven't found time to complete it!

I think I need to disconnect my internet so I can finally play some of my games... Rather than this being a "my 10 fave games" list, it's more like my "I'm always far too distracted by internet to play this" list..

Narcotics

Rising Star
Dead Island - Cutting of heads never gets boring
The Witcher 2 - awesome long game
Hitman Absolution - I really enjoyed this game it's definitely one I will play again
Rayman Origins - Super fun times
Sleeping Dogs - Enjoyable game with some sexy graphics
Skyrim - Hours of fun for the whole family
Darksiders II - Best soundtrack ever
Assassin's Creed III - I need to play this game
Far Cry 3 - Good game plus eye Candy
Dirt Showdown - Love the joyride on this game

Last edited:

Gishank

Bright Spark
Presuming you have a laptop, and own most of your games on Steam, simply set your steam to offline mode - then disconnect from the internet. Then you need not worry :p

lewishollings

Bright Spark
The Binding of Isaac
Darksiders 2
Fallout 3
Far Cry 3
Grand Theft Auto IV with Mods
Metro 2033
Tetris
Dirt 3
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
and cmon... you have to have Minecraft somewhere on this list, although I don't think you can play it without an internet connection as I've never tried.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
The Binding of Isaac
Darksiders 2
Fallout 3
Far Cry 3
Grand Theft Auto IV with Mods
Metro 2033
Tetris
Dirt 3
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
and cmon... you have to have Minecraft somewhere on this list, although I don't think you can play it without an internet connection as I've never tried.

you can play minecraft offline, it will attempt to connect at the start, then when it cant connect it gives the option to play offline

Encolpius

Silver Level Poster
10 games that I'd install with no internets access:

- Need For Speed: Most Wanted (CAR ****!)
- Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri (Just... one... more... turn!)
- The Witcher 2 (I will get all 16 endings eventually!)
- Portal 2 (after having downloaded a metric crapton of user generated test chambers)
- I Wanna Be The Guy (in case I'm insufficiently angry at any point)
- Kingdoms of Amalur (Because fairies are TERRIFYING.)
- Hitman: Absolution (how can I have missed this series beforehand? It's a puzzle in disguise as an action game!)
- Planescape: Torment (What can change the nature of a man? Playing this game, that's what.)
- LA Noire (because I've had it for months but still not got round to playing it more than a wee bit)
- Liberal Crime Squad (Psychotically difficult comedy roguealike-***-management game.)

I'm seeing a lot of Skyrim on here. I wouldn't pack it; the game bored me with its horribly repetitive dungeons that all look the fjoerking same and are horribly linear with absolutely no branching paths.

Way I see it, you'd want games with lots of replay value and suchlike and that you can really get stuck into, so ideally strategy and RPGs with multiple endings and paths and choices.