Desktop for trading.

Astroboy

Hi,

Can anyone recommend me specs for a desktop/mini pc which would be best for stock/forex trading? My budget is about 700-800 excluding the cost of monitors. The pc would be able to power 2 monitors @ 1920x1080, maybe I would like to add more monitors in the future. Preferably as quiet as possible but not necessary to the extreme quietness to it adds too much to the budget, I ordered a mini pc here last year, that noise level is acceptable. I would need it to be able to run fairly quickly on charts and news feed, my brokers platform runs on java and I also use something call the Reuters Xtra 3000 ( http://thomsonreuters.com/products_services/financial/financial_products/a-z/3000_xtra/#tab3 ), thats the product...Its a think client product, the requirement list is low level but I find that the faster the pc, the fastest the client runs...

Hope u all understand my gibberish, thanks in advance!

Petchi b

This should fit your needs.

Case
COOLERMASTER SILEO 500 QUIET MID TOWER CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i5-2500 Quad Core (3.30GHz, 6MB Cache) + HD Graphics
Motherboard
ASUS® P8P67 (NEW REV 3.0): USB 3.0, SATA 6.0GB/s, CrossFireX™
Memory (RAM)
4GB SAMSUNG DDR3 DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 2GB)
Graphics Card
2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 - 2 DVI,HDMI,VGA - 3D Vision Ready
Free Item
FREE Batman Arkham City with any Nvidia® GeForce GTX560 or above!
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
750GB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD7502AAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Memory Card Reader
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Power Supply
450W Quiet 80 PLUS Dual Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan (£29)
Processor Cooling
SUPER QUIET 22dBA TRIPLE COPPER HEATPIPE CPU COOLER (£19)
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities
ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs
USB Options
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)
Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 10 to 12 working days
Quantity

Price: £787.00 including VAT and delivery.

Astroboy

Thanks Petchi, the specs u have mentioned looks good, just to make sure I have/can add another graphics card in future if I want the 3rd monitor?

Wozza, im not sure either, but i have most things running now on a single monitor, and in task manager it says cpu at 35% and Memory 2.35GB..I have a Q8400 and 4gb on Windows 7 32bit...

Which brings me to the next set of questions, is the i5 mentioned much improved over what I have now? and Windows 64bit be a better options since i can use more of the RAM but will it stop me from using alot of the 32bit programs? and im guessing a mini pc wouldnt have enough room...?

Thank you...

Last edited:

Rakk

The Awesome
Thanks Petchi, the specs u have mentioned looks good, just to make sure I have/can add another graphics card in future if I want the 3rd monitor?
For 3 monitors you would either need another NVidia card (since they can only support 2 each) or one of the AMD Eyefinity cards that can support 3,4,5 .... monitors each

and Windows 64bit be a better options since i can use more of the RAM but will it stop me from using alot of the 32bit programs?
Well 64-bit would be better, as you've already said it will enable use to use all 4GB and more if you get more, and it means you can run newer stuff thats built for 64-bit in 64-bit :)
The vast majority of 32-bit programs work on a 64-bit system (I think some may still have issues, but very few in reality)

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
i think that you may be better off waiting for either bulldozer or ivy bridge, then you will have a bigger budget, and yes, you'd probably need at least an eyefinity 3 AMD card, and your board doesnt support 2 nvidias, neither will your PSU

but getting a new system is up to you, i think your system is pretty good and as long as it isnt majorly slowing you down for now then it should at least last you for a few months til the ivys come out, or when bulldozers come out, which is very very soon

Astroboy

i think that you may be better off waiting for either bulldozer or ivy bridge, then you will have a bigger budget, and yes, you'd probably need at least an eyefinity 3 AMD card, and your board doesnt support 2 nvidias, neither will your PSU

but getting a new system is up to you, i think your system is pretty good and as long as it isnt majorly slowing you down for now then it should at least last you for a few months til the ivys come out, or when bulldozers come out, which is very very soon

Hi Wozza,

Pardon my ignorance, do u mean that the bulldozer and ivy bridge will have the same performance yet cheaper/better in value? My system is not slowing me down but I'm planning to take it into my shop and use it as the pc for the shop, instead get a better one for trading...

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
ok if the system will be used properly elsewhere then you can get this one

bulldozer/ivy bridge will be more powerful and probably similarly priced, bulldozer, i believe will be much more reasonably priced and offer similar performance, and this should be released any day now

Astroboy

ok if the system will be used properly elsewhere then you can get this one

bulldozer/ivy bridge will be more powerful and probably similarly priced, bulldozer, i believe will be much more reasonably priced and offer similar performance, and this should be released any day now

Days...i think i will wait a week or too and keep my eyes open

if i went for one of those eyefinity cards, does that mean i can use just one card therefore a mini pc?

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
you can use one card but in a mini PC it will get hot, and it doesnt list a lot of them on the mini PCs because of that and that the mini PCs usually have a PSU with them and most wont power a Eyefinity 3 card, in your case id probably recommend a 6870 (if you can afford it) but remember that you will need to pay extra for the different cables they use on the mini ports

Astroboy

Thanks mate. I hope I can afford it, as long as my shorting works in times like these lol. Ill come back in a week or two :)

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
tbh they seem to keep on delaying it, it was meant to be released september and we are still waiting... :(

Astroboy

Case
COOLERMASTER SILEO 500 QUIET MID TOWER CASE
Processor (CPU)
IntelR Core_i5-2500k Quad Core (3.30GHz, 6MB Cache) + HD Graphics
Motherboard
ASUSR P8Z68-V LX: USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs, ATI哽rossFireX
Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 4GB)
Graphics Card
1GB AMD RADEON_ HD6850 - 2 DVI,HDMI, DP - DXR 11, Eyefinity 3 Capable
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
1TB SATA-II 3-Gb/s HARD DRIVE WITH 32MB CACHE (7,200rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER 崇/崇W/RAM
Memory Card Reader
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Power Supply
450W Quiet 80 PLUS Dual Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan (£29)
Processor Cooling
SUPER QUIET 22dBA TRIPLE COPPER HEATPIPE INTEL CPU COOLER (£19)
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities
ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs
USB Options
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD

What u think?