Desktop Issues - Random Drive Power State Failure BSODS/GSODS and Performance Issues

Should I RMA This PC?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meh

• No

• Total voters

Sam the Dude

Bronze Level Poster
So I had my desktop now for nearly a year now and I am facing some issues with it. From time to time when starting up my computer I get a BSOD or a green screen when running an Insider build that's closer to a final release that comes up with Drive Power State Failure and it restarts my PC and then it works fine after. It kind of freaks out on me. Also, I sometimes experience performance issues when running older games on my PC noticeably one of my favorite platform games Abe's Oddysee running Xpadder in the background. The game sometimes stutters and when I did some benchmarks with my AIO liquid cooler I notice when running this game the cooler went over 70 degrees whilst other games like New 'n' Tasty (a remake of Oddysee) ran slightly cooler. I also play the bonus game Abe's Exoddus and that seems to run better. I also notice when I have my controller plugged in and using an emulator software Bizhawk that I use for TAS projects, on my desktop it will randomly crash on me with my controller plugged in but on my laptop it runs fine. Might there be a problem with the front USB ports or the power supply? I am thinking of sending this computer for inspection after Christmas to see if the technicians can figure out why these issues are occurring. Next year I'm thinking of building a new AMD system with a 16 core Ryzen to help me build bigger Unity games in the future.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Driver state power failure is 99% about incompatible drivers.

If you’re running an insider build, that’s not surprising at all. Likely suspects are graphics and network.

Sam the Dude

Bronze Level Poster
So here's the spec I have

CaseCOOLERMASTER MASTERBOX MB530P RGB GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor i7-9700K (3.6GHz) 12MB Cache
MotherboardASUS® TUF Z370-PLUS GAMING II: ATX, LGA1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs - RGB Ready
Memory (RAM)16GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB DDR4 3000MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2070 - HDMI, 3x DP GeForce - RTX VR Ready!
1st Storage Drive2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 64MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive500GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3400MB/R, 2300MB/W)
DVD/BLU-RAY DriveNOT REQUIRED
Power SupplyCORSAIR 550W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor CoolingCorsair H100x Hydro Cooler w/ PCS Ultra Quiet Fans
Thermal PasteSTANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
LED Lighting2x 50cm RGB LED Strip
Sound CardONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired NetworkingWIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD (TENDA)

And I also have a Dell 24 inch video conferencing montior with webcam and a Corsair Mechanical USB Keyboard and a wireless mouse which I hope to replace with soon with a USB gaming mouse. Could it be the Tenda WIFI card or my RTX 2070 causing these random green screens? I think I might have to upgrade my WIFI card.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
As SpyderTracks says, you're running an insider build. These are very much Beta versions of Windows and you must expect problems, glitches and BSODs. Use the Feedback Hub to report your problems to Microsoft.

The Insider Program is not there so you can get your hands on the very latest builds of Windows, it's there so that you can help test the latest builds and report problems to Microsoft so they get fixed before general release.

TBH, if you're not prepared to deal with problems you really shouldn't be running an insider build.

Sam the Dude

Bronze Level Poster
As SpyderTracks says, you're running an insider build. These are very much Beta versions of Windows and you must expect problems, glitches and BSODs. Use the Feedback Hub to report your problems to Microsoft.

The Insider Program is not there so you can get your hands on the very latest builds of Windows, it's there so that you can help test the latest builds and report problems to Microsoft so they get fixed before general release.

TBH, if you're not prepared to deal with problems you really shouldn't be running an insider build.
But I've been having the Drive Power State Failure blue screens on normal Windows 10 builds not just on Insider builds.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
They are sourced through WIndows.
You’ll need to download gpu drivers from nvidia directly, the wupd ones will likely be incorrect.

Have you looked in device manager for any incompatibilities?

It’s not really something we can troubleshoot until your on a windows 10 build.