Desktop Replacement Laptop - Octane V?

JohnGalt

Hi,

I am looking for a high performance laptop for CAD / Engineering analysis / heavy spreadsheets & data sets.

Main software would be:

-AutoCAD
-Revit
-SketchUp
-Vray
-RSTAB
-Excel

I have tried using Remote Desktops but it just doesn’t work for me, Lenovo P series / Dell Precision get very expensive (£3.5k+) for the specification I am looking at.

Therefore, I am wondering whether better value could be found in an Octane V 15.6 inch with:

- i9-9900K / i7-9700K / i5-9600K (not sure!)
- combined with GTX 1070
- 32gb maybe 64gb RAM (how much difference in performance with 2133 vs 2400 vs 2666ghz make?)

Would want to run 2 screens at the office & when mobile would be by car so, the weight / size is not a huge issue.

Budget would be £2k to £2.5k max.
Any opinions or input on spec. / software listed and especially build quality would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Stephen M

Author Level
I have an i7-8700K Octane and that runs fine with a heavy workload, although not the stuff you are doing. My concern about putting an i9-9900K, even if it is not overclocked is that CPU does run hot and as good as the Octane heat sinks are and general cooling is it may not be enough, especially in the smaller chassis, mine is the 17" model.

The general build quality is excellent, it is very sturdy and would take a lot to damage it. The screens is also very good and I cannot see you having any problems there, although I must admit personally 15.6" screens are too small to work on every day but then I am an old git who no longer has the sharpest of eyesight. I would get another opinion from those more knowledgeable but for your uses the faster RAM would help.

JohnGalt

Thanks for the reply and heads up about i9, I had read this but assumed that it would be OK in this type of laptop.

While struggling to find a review of this specific laptop would it be right that systems using the same Clevo chasis would applicable to the Octane V in realtion to keyboard etc...