Desktop Review

Topher

Bronze Level Poster
So this is my second time getting myself a PC from PCS after having great customer service and an all round great experience I thought I would whack up my opinion on what they built for me and how it has been getting on :)

The Specs are Below:-

• Corsair Carbide 200R
    Having had Cooler master cases on pretty much all my pc's outside of PCS i was reluctant to move away from them. I can safely say I am glad I did, the 200R is classed as "Compact" but for me it is a great case with a pretty good size and even with a full ATX board in there....plenty of room left. That along with the plethora of places for additional fan placement it makes a great gaming case with good airflow throughout.
  • Intel Core i5 4670k 3.8Ghz
    Bow I realize this is a K variant of the i5 to which most would say is a waste but as you can see i am an overclocker, to which I have left it sitting at a perfect(for my needs) 3.8Ghz which smashes anything I currently throw at it. Very sturdy processor. I will say that it definitely requires a higher end cooling solution to prevent it from becoming too toasty.
  • 2GB Nvidia GTX 770
    Not much I can say about this, been a lifelong Nvidia customer, never been disappointed with their products. Same as the above it just smashes whatever I throw at it. Being a Palit JetStream variant and not a reference card it comes with a massive 3 fan cooling solution on the bottom to keep it cool under high load. It clearly works as I have never seen this go above 71c
  • 8GB Kingston Hyper X Beast DDR3 RAM 2400Mhz
    As above(Again :p) some may say you won't benefit from this OC'd RAM if your leaving your CPU at stock, I was not and I can say for an people out their OC'ing this RAM is great never had an issue other than the massive heat spreaders on the sticks themselves, may prove difficult when trying a CPU air cooled solution.
  • Corsair 750RM
    My opinion is with PSU's if you buy cheap you will buy twice. With that being said on my past 3 PC's I have used a Corsair Fully Modular PSU and it makes life so much easier when upgrading and fixing your cable management. the 750RM is perfect for me without being superfluous, very quiet what more can you ask?
  • ASUS Z87-A
    Great board, Full ATX. Has a rather neat somewhat advanced GUI with mouse features enabled when in the BIOS. Something i haven't came across in all my years :)
  • 250GB Samsung SSD
    Not from PCS my own HDD installed after the purchase
  • 500GB Caviar Black HDD
  • NZXT Sentry 2 Fan Controller
    In all honesty I just bought this because I could :L it is pretty useful to see what temps are throughout your case as the thermal probes output their temps to the main screen. Other than that it does what it say's on the tin, allows for easier fan addition.
  • Silver Warranty( You never know ;) )

Total cost was just under £ 1,100,00

PCS

Right so I have gave a brief overview of the components now for the builders.

As I stated at the top of this thread I have shopped with PCS before hand this is my Second PC in 2 years from them.

Now I was impatient and went for the 3 Day Fast Track dispatch so my build was ordered on a Sunday and at my door on the Thursday, so I can't definitively speak to their standard build times, but what I can say is the build quality and their cable management are IMO second to none. This along with their customer service which are all too happy to have a chat when required which is awesome.

Well without trying to think of clever adjectives to describe how good PCS are, I would just say this in one line

Want a custom PC, decent price, get PCS on the phone.

Photobucket is being rather obtuce at the moment pics will be up as soon as pos :)

Last edited:

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Nice review :)
Isn't the 3.8ghz reached just by turbo boost? What CPU cooler do you have?

steaky360

Yup it does turbo boost to 3.8 :) Might as well revert to stock clocks until you want to push it to 4.0+ :)

Topher

Bronze Level Poster
That is a shout indeed, I had no idea it had Turbo Boost, I thought that was only Laptop CPU's that used that as I know my macbook has it but...