Desktop to Laptop, the good and the bad. Also, back from the dead! :P

LDUK

Master Poster
I haven't been on these forums, for I think about 10 years! But I was a big time poster back in the day haha!
Just wondering if there is anyone around from those days that are still knocking about here. Show yourseleves.

Also, I haven't had a new PC since I got mine all those years ago (although the old gal did get a coupld of upgrades over the years).

I've decided to get a Laptop this time round, anyone have any positive or negative experiences changing from Desktop to Laptop? Or even vice versa?

Last edited:

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I haven't been on these forums, for I think about 10 years! But I was a big time poster back in the day haha!
Just wondering if there is anyone around from those days that are still knocking about here. Show yourseleves.

Also, I haven't had a new PC since I got mine all those years ago (although the old gal did get a coupld of upgrades over the years.

I've decided to get a Laptop this time round, anyone have any positive or negative experiences changing from Desktop to Laptop? Or even vice versa?
Depends entirely on what you need it for mate, I can't think of a reason I'd ever go back to laptops but I do have the luxury of space

If portability isn't a factor and space requirements aren't low then desktop all day every day, you just get more for your money

Also welcome back I guess

LDUK

Master Poster
Depends entirely on what you need it for mate, I can't think of a reason I'd ever go back to laptops but I do have the luxury of space

If portability isn't a factor and space requirements aren't low then desktop all day every day, you just get more for your money

Also welcome back I guess
Having the luxury of moving my computer around with me has been something I've wanted for a while. To be able to produce music in different places, the ability to take my workstation with me wherever I go. It's become almost a must really. But I would be upset if I didn't get the performance I want from it, you know? Like I know spending good money on a desktop in most cases satisfies expectation. I'm hoping a laptop will satisfy the expectation I have of it, even though I know a Laptop wont be as powerful for the same budget as a desktop.

And thank you! :D

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Having the luxury of moving my computer around with me has been something I've wanted for a while. To be able to produce music in different places, the ability to take my workstation with me wherever I go. It's become almost a must really. But I would be upset if I didn't get the performance I want from it, you know? Like I know spending good money on a desktop in most cases satisfies expectation. I'm hoping a laptop will satisfy the expectation I have of it, even though I know a Laptop wont be as powerful for the same budget as a desktop.

And thank you! :D
Well current Gen laptops are actually pretty great when it comes to production in general, they are certainly a viable alternative. I will say I'm fairly ignorant when it comes to music production so I'm definitely not the best for advice in that area.

Remoting into a desktop could be an option but I'm not sure if latency is a major factor? I know bandwidth can be a problem when engineers remote into their computers here in the office but that could be due to the size of the models we are working on

Food for thought I guess, maybe on of the laptop guys who knows a bit more about music production can give you a better idea of what they can do

LDUK

Master Poster
Well current Gen laptops are actually pretty great when it comes to production in general, they are certainly a viable alternative. I will say I'm fairly ignorant when it comes to music production so I'm definitely not the best for advice in that area.

Remoting into a desktop could be an option but I'm not sure if latency is a major factor? I know bandwidth can be a problem when engineers remote into their computers here in the office but that could be due to the size of the models we are working on

Food for thought I guess, maybe on of the laptop guys who knows a bit more about music production can give you a better idea of what they can do
Ah okay cool. Thanks for the information. I guess really I just have to do it and see how it works for me. It's one of those things where I wont really know what's best for me until I've tried it. And I'm happy to try it. If I'm not really over the moon about it when I try a laptop out, I'll just remember that and go desktop next time. If I really feel like spending the money, I could just get a desktop in the near future and have both options.