Deus Ex Machina

TrustMeItsWorthIt

Gold Level Poster
Hello!
Im building a gaming PC for Deus Ex and probably Skyrim.
Im hoping it will be future proof for a while, what do you guys think of this spec?

Processor (CPU)

Intel® Core™i7-2600 Quad Core (3.40GHz, 8MB Cache) + HD

Motherboard

SABERTOOTH P67 (NEW REV 3.0): USB 3.0, SATA 6.0GB/s, THERMAL ARMOR!ASUS®

Memory (RAM)

8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (2 x 4GB KIT)

Graphics Card

2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti - 2 DVI,HDMI,VGA - DX® 11, 3D Vision

Memory - 1st Hard Disk

60GB OCZ VERTEX 2 SERIES SSD, SATA 3 Gb/s (upto 285MB/sR | 275MB/sW)

2nd Hard Disk

1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)

RAID

NONE

1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive

24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM

2nd DVD/BLU-RAY Drive

24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM

Memory Card Reader

INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORTNONE

Power Supply

CORSAIR 650W TX SERIES (TX650) 80+ ULTRA QUIET PSU (£72)

Processor Cooling

COOLIT ECO A.L.C (ADVANCED LIQUID COOLER) (£49)

Sound Card

ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD

Network Facilities

ONBOARD GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps PCI-E CARD (£19)

USB Options

2 PORT USB 3.0 INTERNAL PCI EXPRESS CARD

Modem

INTERNAL V92 DATA/FAX/VOICE MODEM (Special Offer! £6)

Floppy Disk Drive

NONE

Firewire & Video Editing

3 Port IEEE 1394a Firewire PCI Card (£9)

TV Card

None

Operating System

None

Monitor

NONE

Keyboard & Mouse

LOGITECH® MK520 WIRELESS KEYBOARD & MOUSE COMBO (£39)

Warranty

3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)

I was mostly wondering about the PSU, will it be enough? im thinking about OCing it but dont know much about it.
Also does anyone know if its worth getting the inproved liquid cooling(£99)? will it make a big difference over the £49 version?
This PC is quoted at £1205.00, is it worth it? or is it overkill?

Thanks for your time, sorry im a noob :)

Rakk

The Awesome
If you're thinking about overclocking you may want to consider the 'k' variant of the CPU, since they are set up for overclocking.

And do you need two DVD players? Most people manage with just one, unless you're planning on doing an awful lot of dvd copying.

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Hi there,

CPU

If you are thinking about OCing, there are two things to do. Firstly, fully research it and make sure you actually want/need it (most dont even if they think they do!). Secondly, you'll need the i5 or i7 K versions of the CPU. This means PCS OC it for you. Anything else (i.e. DIY OCing) will void the warranty on the CPU and probably other parts too! There is a good link somewhere to the policy, but can I find it? No!

Motherboard

I suppose this goes along the same lines as the K series CPU. If you dont need the Sabertooth, simply drop it down to the one of the P8P67 ones. Will do a fine job still.

Memory (RAM)

The 1600MHz are more for an OC system, so depending on the CPU decision, the 1333MHz will work just as well (unless you are doing something fancy with the PC!)

Graphics Card

You could invest some of the saved money on a better GPU. This is always subjective, as the 560 Ti does seem highly recommended on the forums. However, it is older, and if you are looking for something to last a bit longer, you might want to look at the 570 upwards. (GPUs are however the easy bit to replace, so if you do run into budgeting issues, it may be the place to drop down a bit, and replace later)

DVD/BLU-RAY Drive

Just bein nosey now...why 2? :D

Power Supply

You could go higher than the 650W, maybe 750W? Again this all comes down to affordability at the end of the day. The configurator will tell you what you need/dont need in a PSU, but you should take into account future upgrades you might make.

Processor Cooling

Back to OCing. If you are OCing, an Water Cooler can be a good idea (though it still isnt mandatory). I still subscribe to the notion that if you dont NEED a WC system, dont get one, because sods law is it runs into problems even though you didnt need it. Opinions ahoy!

Modem

INTERNAL V92 DATA/FAX/VOICE MODEM (Special Offer! £6) ... wass that for then? No really... :D

Operating System

Doth one have ones own OS already? Other means of getting one? Just mentioning it in case you missed it by mistake!

Warranty

Good call on the Silver!

Things to ponder, and more ideas below (or above in the time this took me!)

DED

TrustMeItsWorthIt

Gold Level Poster
thanks for the valuable advice, the OCing thing was just me wondering really. to be honest i dont think ill be needing the extra bang it so ill downgrade a couple of things (motherboard/RAM) and upgrade a couple (PSU/Graphics)
the cd drives are because im a big downloader ( please no shouts of "LEECH!" ) so want to be able to have mutiple drives playing/burning at once
no i havent forgotten the OS, going to be having multiple OS's so im "sourcing" them "elsewhere"
as to the modem, why not? it takes me back...
and anyway when the revolution comes and wi-fi turns against us i plan on being prepared :)