Did I make a mistake? (Intel v Ryzen)

CraigMerrick53

I kind of don't want to hear the answer to this question but I need to know...

I ordered a laptop last night (some of you have been helping me out with the Specs). While reading around some other posts (killing time on this site and others), I've read a lot of people slating the CPU I've gone for.

Processor (CPU)Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor 10875H (2.3GHz, 5.1GHz Turbo)

I've read that it's not actually very good when compared to R7 and R9. The R9 was available within my budget but on a Chassis where the GPU is not as great. (I've got Proteus Series VIII with RTX 2070 Super whereas the Ryzen supported Chassis (Nova) only supports RTX 2070.

I've got to be honest, I'm not a super tech guy (I understand general stuff). Are they really THAT different, am I going to really notice the difference and was this a mistake?

Kind of worried but the trigger has already been pulled. Just want someone to tell me it's not that big of deal...

daveeb

Enthusiast
I kind of don't want to hear the answer to this question but I need to know...

I ordered a laptop last night (some of you have been helping me out with the Specs). While reading around some other posts (killing time on this site and others), I've read a lot of people slating the CPU I've gone for.

Processor (CPU)Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor 10875H (2.3GHz, 5.1GHz Turbo)

I've read that it's not actually very good when compared to R7 and R9. The R9 was available within my budget but on a Chassis where the GPU is not as great. (I've got Proteus Series VIII with RTX 2070 Super whereas the Ryzen supported Chassis (Nova) only supports RTX 2070.

I've got to be honest, I'm not a super tech guy (I understand general stuff). Are they really THAT different, am I going to really notice the difference and was this a mistake?

Kind of worried but the trigger has already been pulled. Just want someone to tell me it's not that big of deal...

Hi Craig you can modify your order quite easily if you want to change it (until it goes into production). There are far more savvy people than me on here who will tell you the relative merits of the current Intels vs AMD's.

CraigMerrick53

Hi Craig you can modify your order quite easily if you want to change it (until it goes into production). There are far more savvy people than me on here who will tell you the relative merits of the current Intels vs AMD's.

Thanks, I’m hoping that I’ve not mad a bad choice. I got quite a lot of help from the guys on the forums so I’m sure if they really thought I making a big mistake they would have pointed it out.

They suggested thing for the rest of my build that I took on board.
I’d be surprised if I could change it this late... already paid for and would need a whole new chassis and configuration to support the AMD processors + stepping down to a lower GPU

Stephen M

Author Level
What stage is your order at as there may still be a chance to cancel and start again. Not sure exactly what the situation is but if it is still pre-production it is worth checking with PCS.

If you go for something like the Nova you will get a desk top AMD in a laptop, far better than the i7. Whatever, you will be better off with AMD in many areas, thermals and security being major ones.

CraigMerrick53

What stage is your order at as there may still be a chance to cancel and start again. Not sure exactly what the situation is but if it is still pre-production it is worth checking with PCS.

If you go for something like the Nova you will get a desk top AMD in a laptop, far better than the i7. Whatever, you will be better off with AMD in many areas, thermals and security being major ones.

This is the status on order page

181801702-09-2020 19:35Processing2 working daysN/A

D

Deleted member 17413

Most of the PCS laptops are Intel, which is a bit of a shame.
AMD are leading with CPU's and have for a while, and I think im correct in saying there are new CPU's not that far off either which i'm hoping might mean some more options with the laptops.

Is it on finance? If so I think you would have to cancel as the agreement is tied to the build specifications (although reapplying should go through still for the same amount or less). If paid in full then I think you have more options..

CraigMerrick53

I suppose what I really want to know is, do the benefits of upgrading to AMD Ryzen 9 justify stepping down from an RTX 2070 Super to an RTX 2070 - this is my main question!

I paid in full. The two differences in price are minimal so it makes no odds there.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I suppose what I really want to know is, do the benefits of upgrading to AMD Ryzen 9 justify stepping down from an RTX 2070 Super to an RTX 2070 - this is my main question!

I paid in full. The two differences in price are minimal so it makes no odds there.
It totally depends what it’s for. If for gaming, the better gpu will make more of an impact overall. If for productivity, then the Ryzen cpu would be a better investment.

CraigMerrick53

It totally depends what it’s for. If for gaming, the better gpu will make more of an impact overall. If for productivity, then the Ryzen cpu would be a better investment.
It’s going to be for gaming 99% of the time.

I have a separate Laptop I use for work (and nothing it does is very tasking)

FerrariVie

Super Star
I think this is what you're looking for:

Untitled.png

Source:
2070 SUPER Laptop Talk! Are They Worth It?

FerrariVie

Super Star
Every 2070 is 115W already (Super or not), only exceptions are the Max-Q versions that I think have an 80/90W limit (if I remember well). The extra boost is just giving it more power than what the card was designed for, and I don't think PCS would do that.